[NEohioPAL]Re: Jean Zarzour's recent Pay-No Pay post

Pommy Pommy at neo.rr.com
Tue Oct 17 05:49:47 PDT 2006

--=====================_1102626==_.ALT

Dear Jean: Regarding your recent post to NEOPAL (copied below for ease of
reference) I would like to thank you for speaking on our behalf. My husband
and I and many friends in the community are actors and, like most actors,
have done lots of community theater work plus a little paid work. The paid
work is very nice, but until the debate last year we were just happy to act
in anything that came with some sort of recognition. Again, like many
people, we thought that having a commercial (or any other work like that,
which is typically paid) would be good for our image and may lead to real
paid acting jobs.

The debate you began really started us thinking, though. We had not
considered the people who actually make a living at this type of work
(i.e., if they can get free actors why pay them?) Plus, as you say, raising
the bar in this area for actors is obviously necessary. We don't regret the
commercial we made for WOIO, but would not do so again under the same terms
(free). That one commercial was over a year ago and I can't tell you how
many people have mentioned it to us. We've had complete strangers stop us
in the street and say how much they liked the commercial - just the other
day was the most recent! Well, this is all very good for the ego :-) but it
just goes to show how much impact a 30-second spot on TV has. WOIO must
have made money on that commercial (and I can't believe their client hasn't
made a bunch on it -- we were featured in prints ads, as well, from the
same commercial). So why shouldn't the ones who do the work get paid?  It
was pretty much an all-day thing. We both gave up the whole day to this
commercial. As I said we enjoyed it - but our time is certainly worth
something.

We're with you all the way! I've copied this email to WOIO, also. Thanks,
Jean for your work in this regard. I'm sure that WOIO will honor their
agreement, but just wanted to add my 2 cents worth to the debate.

--Linda Ryan

>Dear NeohioPals-
>
>For those of you not familiar with last year's debate about PAY vs NO PAY
>commercial gigs and the GOT PAY? Organization, here is a quick synopsis:
>On February 17, 2005 WOIO posted a casting call for a commercial they were
>producing, but offering NO PAY to anyone who would appear in the
>spot.  After a heated debate on NEOPAL, a panel of 12 area artists,
>writers, producers and directors formed the GOT PAY? Organization and on
>March 21, 2005 we held a town hall meeting to discuss the best business
>standards & practices for all artists, union or non union, in order to
>establish their worth in the NE Ohio region, in particular.  67 people
>attended for a 3 hour discussion.
>Visit
><http://www.gotpay.org/Got_Mentor.html>www.gotpay.org/Got_Mentor.html for
>the panelist bios and much more.
>
>On April 1, 2005 I called Rob Boenau, Marketing Director at WOIO,  to
>discuss the "rumor" emailed to me that they were indeed going to pay
>actors as a result of the Pay vs. No Pay debate and meeting.  The
>conversation was very respectful and focused.  We came to an agreement
>that each non union actor would be paid a minimum of $100 per commercial
>appearance produced by WOIO!  WONDERFUL NEWS!  From 0 to 100 in 30 minutes!
>
>He also said that the next audition notice was going out very soon and
>that he would have his producer post that announcement through me.
>
>Below are my follow up emails after that conversation, sent to Rob Boenau
>and Chris Stabile (the same promotions director who posted the notice last
>week) back in April 2005. I never heard back from anyone at WOIO, but I
>never doubted that they would honor their end of the agreement.  You can
>also read the update to these events at
><http://www.gotpay.org/Got_Results.html>www.gotpay.org/Got_Results.html
>
>I am disappointed that WOIO has decided to renege on the agreement to pay
>$100 to anyone appearing in their commercials. It was a verbal agreement,
>but I took his offer seriously because it was an agreement made after a
>very intense and serious conversation about the need for progress in this
>arts community, among other things.
>
>I think the best action to take at this point, is to have anyone replying
>to WOIO postings ask them:  "What happened to the $100 agreement you made
>with GOT PAY on April 1, 2005?"
>
>It is with the utmost respect to the WOIO Marketing team that I have cc'd
>them on this email.
>
>It is not  my intention to start another heated debate, but an agreement
>is an agreement.   It was made on your behalf and now it's time you, the
>artist, ensure it was not made in vain.
>

>Remember:  If Money Is Made, The Talent Gets Paid!
>

>Your devoted advocate and founder of the GOT PAY? Organization
Jean Zarzour

--Pommy
--=====================_1102626==_.ALT

below for ease of reference) I would like to thank you for speaking on
our behalf. My husband and I and many friends in the community are actors
and, like most actors, have done lots of community theater work plus a
little paid work. The paid work is very nice, but until the debate last
year we were just happy to act in anything that came with some sort of
recognition. Again, like many people, we thought that having a commercial
(or any other work like that, which is typically paid) would be good for
our image and may lead to real paid acting jobs. <br>
[...]
said we enjoyed it - but our time is certainly worth something.<br>
We're with you all the way! I've copied this email to WOIO, also. Thanks,
Jean for your work in this regard. I'm sure that WOIO will honor their
agreement, but just wanted to add my 2 cents worth to the debate.<br>
--Linda Ryan<br>
=3D3>Dear
?
and on March 21, 2005 we held a town hall meeting to discuss the best
business standards & practices for all artists, union or non union,
in order to establish their worth in the NE Ohio region, in
particular.  67 people attended for a 3 hour discussion.
html</a>
for the panelist bios and much more.</font><font face=3D"arial" size=3D2><br=

 called Rob Boenau, Marketing Director at WOIO,  to discuss the=
 "rumor" emailed to me that they were indeed going to pay actors=
 as a result of the Pay vs. No Pay debate and meeting.  The=
 conversation was very respectful and focused.  We came to an agreement=
 that each non union actor would be paid a minimum of $100 per commercial=
 appearance produced by WOIO!  WONDERFUL NEWS!  From 0 to 100 in=
 the next audition notice was going out very soon and that he would have his=
 producer post that announcement through me. </b></font><font face=3D"arial"=
 size=3D2><br>
 that conversation, sent to Rob Boenau and Chris Stabile (the same=
 promotions director who posted the notice last week) back in April 2005. I=
 never heard back from anyone at WOIO, but I never doubted that they would=
 honor their end of the agreement.  You can also read the update to=
 these events at <a=
 href=3D"http://www.gotpay.org/Got_Results.html">www.gotpay.org/Got_Results.=
 to renege on the agreement to pay $100 to anyone appearing in their=
 commercials. It was a verbal agreement, but I took his offer seriously=
 because it was an agreement made after a very intense and serious=
 conversation about the need for progress in this arts community, among=
 point, is to have anyone replying to WOIO postings ask them: =
 happened to the $100 agreement you made with GOT PAY on April 1,=
 WOIO Marketing team that I have cc'd them on this email.  </font><font=
 face=3D"arial" size=3D2><br>
 another heated debate, but an agreement is an agreement.   It was=
 made on your behalf and now it's time <i>you, the artist, </i>ensure it was=
 size=3D2><br>
 size=3D3 color=3D"#FF0000">Organization</font></blockquote><font=
 face=3D"Brush Script MT" size=3D6 color=3D"#FF0000">Jean=
--Pommy</html>