[NEohioPAL]Response to Ms. Smith's response on Urinetown auditions.

Craig M Russell cmractor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 10:48:21 PST 2006

------=_Part_9037_28861564.1162925301599

Indeed, Ms. Smith has a point in her response saying that the subject matter
of Urinetown may not be appropriate for the maturity level of the eligible
auditioners; however, how many times can a youth theatre do shows like Music
Man, Oklahoma!, Our Town, or other shows that are overdone in the High
School years of students?  Unless I am not reading the show as an educator
or through the eyes of a parent, however, I do not see anything wrong with a
high school student singing "A Privilege to Pee".  I believe more high
schools should do more shows that broaden the horizons of students
everywhere.

I for one am glad that they are doing a school musical.  My high school
hasn't had a musical in over 10 years (which was Oklahoma! by the way), and
we were planning on getting the rights to Cinderella my sophomore year and
our teacher backed out because of costs of royalties.  We hardly had a drama
club.  I spent an equivalent of two and a half years looking for a teacher
to advise the drama club.  Out of four years, I did two plays.  Can we say
uncultured?  I really think I would have benefited had we been exposed to
alternate types of drama (ie. other than comedy -- we should have had a
tragedy, musical, maybe even do a classic play).

My question is, what is wrong with schools that they are afraid of doing a
show that is challenging the minds and talents of a student body?  What
other shows are out there that are appropriate for students to be exposed to
and can broaden the horizons and culture them?  I, for one, am highly upset
about my high school experience because of the fact we were not cultured in
the arts and were afraid of doing shows with diverse subject matter.

My 1.5 cents.

CMR