[NEohioPAL]From the Producer of Urinetown at Stagecrafters

Jamie Koeth jamiekoeth at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 8 08:43:29 PST 2006

<P>My name is Wendy Scott-Koeth and I am the Coordinator for Stagecrafters Youth Theatre and the producer for Urinetown.  I truly appreciate your thoughts.  I am also thankful that you are at least familiar with the show and therefore able to share your opinion in an educated manner.  It's difficult to address any kind of feedback when the other party has based purely on opinion or a gut reaction.  Clearly that is not the case here.</P>
<P>For many years I suppose you could say that our teen program has "pushed the envelope".  Our production line up is based on student, parent and community feedback.  We have produced <EM>Les Mis, Tommy, Sweeney Todd </EM>and <EM>Jesus Christ Superstar</EM> just to name a few.  Even the Orange Middle School program makes an effort to expose our students to innovative plays.  Recently the Orange School's 8th grade class went to see Urinetown at Carousel Dinner Theatre.  A creative way to empower our future leaders, this educational fieldtrip served as a great conversation piece among staff and students.</P>
<P>Many of Stagecrafters' student actors plan to pursue a career in theatre.  In order to broaden their horizons, their families frequently travel outside of our community to experience a variety of theatrical content, styles and genres.  They have seen numerous productions with mature subject matter far more explicit than that of Urinetown.</P>
<P>In light of the fact that you have already produced a high school production of <EM>Chicago</EM> (a great show by the way!!) you clearly are aware of its content.  It seems hardly appropriate to compare <EM>Chicago</EM> - a show that is riddled with sex, drugs, alcohol and celebrates perjury, deception and pre-meditated murder...to a musical that encourages members of its society to be proactive, take a stand for what he or she believes in and to think as an individual.  A message that I sincerely hope all schools would welcome.</P>
<P>Special thanks to NEohioPAL for yet another forum to excersise our freedom of speech.  And thanks to you Bev, for lending your voice.</P>
<P>To think...to question...to have a voice.  Isn't that what theatre is all about?  We are fortunate to have an educational enviornment that allows and encourages us to do so.</P>
<P>Sincerely,</P>
<P>Wendy Scott-Koeth<BR><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>