[NEohioPAL]Audition Posting - Urinetown

Smith, Beverly SmithB at mentorschools.org
Tue Nov 7 05:52:00 PST 2006

------_=_NextPart_001_01C70273.E5BA0A9C

I am not a purist or elitist by any stretch of the imagination, and =
those who know me will atest to that fact. However, I have been in the =
education field for thirty-two years, teacher and administrator at all =
grade levels, and do not see anything appropriate about doing the =
musical "Urinetown" with 8th graders let alone 12th graders. Theatre has =
been a part of my life, both teaching theatre at the high school and =
junior high level, as well as acting and being involved in a number of =
area community theatres.=20

I am well aware of the symbolism, story, etc.....in fact, "Urinetown" is =
one of my favorite musicals. I cannot picture school age students =
singing "A Privilege To Pee" and parents being delighted. There is so =
much other material out there to choose from...why do it? I know =
audiences will complain no matter what you do, and often the most =
innocent of plays or musicals is bound to offend someone---and I am not =
opposed to pushing the envelope: I produced "Chicago" back in the 80's =
at Central-Hower in Akron. But these were juniors and seniors and it was =
okay for the culture of the time period.=20

I think "Urinetown", like "Full Monty" is great fun....but not for =
grades 8-12. And don't get me wrong---I am sure the kids will think it's =
cool, etc. But there is no need---there are other things out there that =
are just as good. Kids get the crude and graphic everyday from =
television and movies, does it have to be in our schools, too?

bev smith