[NEohioPAL]Audition Posting - Urinetown

Andy Collopy andyc at speakeasy.net
Tue Nov 7 11:31:19 PST 2006

--Apple-Mail-1--62913922

Have we really come to a point where teenagers singing about natural=20
bodily functions is too much to handle? As one of the "kids" planning=20
on auditioning for this production, I take objection to your implying=20
that we can't handle talking about something that we all do many times=20=

a day.

Over the last couple of years this same theatre group has produced such=20=

shows as Sweeney Todd, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Chicago. All of=20
these shows contain "objectionable" material, but I think that the=20
directors of the program have done us students a great service by=20
giving us the chance to perform these "adult" works. I feel that I have=20=

grown more as an actor working on these shows than if we had instead=20
done Annie or Grease (which, by the way, I feel has a far more damaging=20=

message than any of the shows I've mentioned above).

I for one am excited for the chance to be in this hilarious and very=20
topical (there is a message under all of that pee) show.

-Andy Collopy

On Nov 7, 2006, at 8:52 AM, Smith, Beverly wrote:

> I am not a purist or elitist by any stretch of the imagination, and=20
> those who know me will atest to that fact. However, I have been in the=20=

> education field for thirty-two years, teacher and administrator at all=20=

> grade levels, and do not see anything appropriate about doing the=20
> musical "Urinetown" with 8th graders let alone 12th graders. Theatre=20=

> has been a part of my life, both teaching theatre at the high school=20=

> and junior high level, as well as acting and being involved in a=20
> number of area community theatres.
>
>  I am well aware of the symbolism, story, etc.....in fact, "Urinetown"=20=

> is one of my favorite musicals. I cannot picture school age students=20=

> singing "A Privilege To Pee" and parents being delighted. There is so=20=

> much other material out there to choose from...why do it? I know=20
> audiences will complain no matter what you do, and often the most=20
> innocent of plays or musicals is bound to offend someone---and I am=20
> not opposed to pushing the envelope: I produced "Chicago" back in the=20=

> 80's at Central-Hower in Akron. But these were juniors and seniors and=20=

> it was okay for the culture of the time period.
>
>  I think "Urinetown", like "Full Monty" is great fun....but not for=20
> grades 8-12. And don't get me wrong---I am sure the kids will think=20
> it's cool, etc. But there is no need---there are other things out=20
> there that are just as good. Kids get the crude and graphic everyday=20=

> from television and movies, does it have to be in our schools, too?
>

>  bev smith

contain "objectionable" material, but I think that the directors of
the program have done us students a great service by giving us the
chance to perform these "adult" works. I feel that I have grown more
as an actor working on these shows than if we had instead done
I feel has a far more damaging message than any of the shows I've