[NEohioPAL]The smoking ban

Lori Cahan-Simon lorelecs at juno.com
Mon Nov 20 00:46:23 PST 2006

----__JWM__J446b.794bS.15fbM

Sheldon, I wish you no personal offense or harm, but I want you to know
how happy I and so many others are about the smoking ban, and why.  All
my life I have gotten physically ill when I went to a restaurant or bar
where there was smoking, and I wished there were a place without it, so
I could eat without feeling nauseous, having a headache, stuffed
sinuses, runny nose, and go home without bringing those smells with me.
 As I grew up I became a professional vocalist, and so spent many hours
each evening in places so smoky that one had trouble seeing in the
room.  It was quite difficult and I relished those times we played
parties with larger rooms and better circulation.  I tried bringing my
own fan, then a room ionizer, but nothing helped much.  When no-smoking
areas were instituted, I rejoiced, but was/am still affected by the
smoke wafting over, and of course, the stages were still set up in the
smoky bar areas.  It got a little better when club owners installed
those air filters to get rid of the smoke, but I have noticed over the
last few decades how fewer patrons smoke than used to.  Hardly anyone I
know smokes anymore.  Maybe it's the circles I run in, but smokers
definitely seem to be the minority these days.  =

Sheldon, I am sorry you feel your rights are being infringed upon, but
these moves have made so many lives easier, healthier, and more
pleasant.  I hope that you will be able to quit smoking one day, if you
want to.  I tried my entire life to get my father to quit smoking. =

After over 60 years of smoking he recently passed because of his
smoking cigarettes.  It was a horrible death that I wouldn't wish on
anyone.  During his life he was a rabid supporter of smoking and in
only this one regard was not considerate of others.  Otherwise, he was
a wonderful, intelligent, funny, interesting and kind man.  In the last
few months of his life, in his suffering, he finally realized what his
own smoking had done to him and to others around him.  He tried hard to
get a few of his friends to quit smoking, but of course they didn't
listen and go oblivious on to their own fates.  I am sad about not
having my father; he was too young to go and I miss him terribly.  I
wish everyone an easier passing than his and I pray all smokers can
find the strength to quit before they kill themselves with it and
injure the health of those around them.

Wishing you the best,
Lori

Hear Lori's CDs at: http://www.cdbaby.com/lcahan