[NEohioPAL]Berko review: THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA (Playhouse Square) Rebuttal

Allen White AMWhite at oco.net
Wed Jan 17 11:00:11 PST 2007

I was one of the fortunate people who got to see the show in New York, and
again last night.  After seeing the NYC production I told people the show
was "stunningly beautiful", and the performances, especially Victoria Clark
and Kelli O'Hara, were incredible.

My wife did not see the New York production, and didn't understand what I
saw in the show.  She was mostly bored, and felt that Margaret was
completely lost.  On the way out of the theatre I heard others who wanted
to know why this show won the Tony Award for best musical, because it
certainly wasn't very good.  (It didn't, but it was nominated for that
honor - Victoria Clark did win the Tony for Best Actress in a Musical.)

Mr. Berko's review was accurate, because the beauty of the show was mostly
lost in last night's performance.  I fear much of that was because of the
understudy not having the range to portray a role as complicated as
Margaret.  I can say that I love the song "Dividing Day", because of its
complicated message of love somewhere lost, and I barely recognized it last
night.

The show requires the woman playing Margaret to have incredible range, both
in acting and in singing.  Perhaps the woman scheduled to play her has that
range, but Ms. Brockman certainly does not.  I wouldn't say that you should
avoid the show, because it's a wonderful show, but last night was certainly
not representative of that.

Allen White