[NEohioPAL]Berko review: THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA (Playhouse Square) Rebuttal

Zev Valancy zev at valancy.com
Wed Jan 17 16:38:11 PST 2007

Fiends, Arts Lovers, and Fellow Pontificators,

Several issues have come up in this exchange thus far which have
moved me to spout off, as I will do.

I want to make clear that I have not seen this touring production of
"The Light In The Piazza," and will not while it is in Cleveland,
though I hope to see it when it comes to Chicago this summer. It is
quite probable that the production has lost much of its effectiveness
in moving from the 1100 seat thrust stage of the Vivian Beaumont in
Lincoln Center to the Palace, a proscenium house with over 2000
seats. (I'm not sure of the number.) Ms. Brockman may not have had
the necessary rehearsal to live up to Victoria Clark, who won a Tony
for her Broadway efforts, or Christine Andreas, reportedly luminous
in her performance on the road. There is also no doubt that the story
of the play can get soapy (though why Roy Berko chose to give away as
much of the plot as he did, I do not understand), and that Craig
Lucas' book is not as deft as Adam Guettel's score. My comments
relate to the score itself, and how it relates to the state of the
modern musical theatre.

First of all, why does hummability equal quality? As Stephen Sondheim
himself said, the best way to make a song hummable is to repeat it.
Sometimes this is done with skill and necessity--I would say that the
reprises in Rodgers and Hammerstein's musicals are an excellent
example of this--and sometimes it is done in a cynical attempt to
make the music memorable, despite a lack of need for it in the story--
such as Andrew Lloyd Webber's "composition by numbers" approach in
countless musicals. Even the songs seen as standards were not always
that way: West Side Story, for instance was considered to have an
overly complex and unhummable score until the movie version made the
music inescapable. When people finally listened to the music, they
recognized it for the beautiful work of art it was. Complexity does
not rule out music being attractive--and if you listen to some of
Rodgers and Hammerstein's music, you realize how tough it can be to
hum--I'd like to see anyone hum the "Soliloquy" from "Carousel"!

The first time I heard the score of "The Light In The Piazza" on CD,
I only got a general impression of it--I knew that it was beautiful,
with sharp and incisive lyrics, but I might not have been able to hum
any of the tunes for you. However, as I listened to it more and more,
I caught the exaltation in "Statues and Stories," the lyricism in
"Passeggiata," the heartbreak in "Dividing Day," the torrential
emotional intensity of the "Octet" (my personal favorite), and the
painful beauty of "Fable," to choose only five songs from a superb
score. While the score does not necessarily give up all of its riches
on the first hearing, it does do a wonderful job of telling the
story--perhaps a better job than the book--and singing the emotions
of the characters.

However, even a score far less accessible than "The Light In The
Piazza" can still create a stunning theatrical experience. For
example, "Highway Ulysses," produced at Dobama in 2004, features an
extraordinarily complex score that  contains very few easy melodies,
but, at least in my opinion, made for smashing theatre. Songs that
could easily be sung in concert would simply be wrong for the dark,
disturbing story being told. An intelligent and skilled musical
theatre composer writes music for the play, not for its own sake.

Nobody will write new Rodgers and Hammerstein shows because the world
is not what it was from 1943-1959. Art reflects the world in which it
is created, and this is not a bad thing. America in the 1940's and
1950's was the right place for Rodgers and Hammerstein, America in
the 1970's was the right time for Stephen Sondheim, the 1990's was
the right time for Jonathon Larson, and perhaps the 2000's will be
seen as the decade of Adam Guettel.

And by the way, take one more look at the themes that Rodgers and
Hammerstein addressed--America's growing pains in "Oklahoma," poverty
and abuse in "Carousel," racism and war in "South Pacific," and
cultural imperialism in "The King and I," to name just a few. These
are tough shows with difficult to digest ideas, a fact which has been
obscured by their canonization.

"The Light In The Piazza" is in many ways a benchmark show: one of
the first of the shows by what is commonly considered the "new
generation" of musical theatre writers to reach widespread critical
and popular success. It says something heartening about the state of
the Broadway theatre that a musical with a score that is not the
usual poppy chirpfest, little dancing, emotional complexity, and an
ending that is ambiguously happy at best can run over a year, popular
among a wide selection of the populace, not just musical theatre
junkies, and spin off a tour.

As for the question of what the message is? I think Guettel makes it
perfectly clear to the audience in the final song, the heartbreaking
"Fable": Love isn't perfect, and it may not even be possible, but if
you get the chance, for God's sake, take it. Not exactly a smiley
face, but profound and true.

I hope that people will see the production, or at least buy the CD to
make up their own minds about its merits, and hopefully be inspired
to find Guettel's other wonderful works, the song cycle "Myths and
Hymns" and "Floyd Collins," perhaps the finest musical of the past 15
years. I hope even more that a theatre in Cleveland--the Play House?
Great Lakes? Beck Center?--will choose to do "The Light In The
Piazza" and give Cleveland's extraordinary singing actors a chance to
perform it and give its intelligent and discerning audiences a more
intimate production in which to assess its merits.

Thank you all for your indulgence, and bring on questions, comments,
compliments, complaints or anything else!

All the best,
Zev N. Valancy