[NEohioPAL]Food and Drink in the Auditorium

David Hansen pengo at davidhansen.org
Mon Feb 19 03:43:09 PST 2007

--B_3254712191_4295959

There was a great piece in the NY Times about this subject last month.
Unfortunately, you need their subscription to access the full article ...

=B3Noises Off: Playgoers Sip, Munch and Crunch=B2
NY TIMES, January 5, 2007, Friday

=B3While eating at your seat at a Broadway theater used to be universally
forbidden, theaters are increasingly allowing patrons to take their drinks,
candy and even crunchy munchies to their seats during a show. This
let-them-eat-snacks philosophy has been embraced at the Helen Hayes, Hilton=
,
New Amsterdam, Eugene O'Neill and Walter Kerr Theaters, as well as at all
nine houses owned by the Nederlander Organization (the Brooks Atkinson,
Gershwin, Lunt-Fontanne, Marquis, Minskoff, Nederlander, Neil Simon, Palace
and Richard Rodgers).

=B3=B9'It's a reflection of changing audience habits,'=B9 said Jim Boese, the
organization's vice president. '=B9As the audience for Broadway expands, ther=
are changing audience needs. This is part of a broader attempt to enhance
the audience experience.'=B9=B2 ...  (end excerpt)

...except where your experience infringes upon my experience.  And the mone=
such theaters make off concessions must have something to do with it.

Of course, I have to admit I like to drink during plays, especially plays I
have either written or directed (though not at a high school performance,
that would be wrong.)  But there=B9s a big difference between a quiet little
hip flask and a noisy, ice-filled, 64 ounce Coke.

--B_3254712191_4295959

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [NEohioPAL]Food and Drink in the Auditorium</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>There=
 was a great piece in the NY Times about this subject last month.  Unfo=
rtunately, you need their subscription to access the full article ...<BR>
<BR>
“Noises Off: Playgoers Sip, Munch and Crunch” <BR>
NY TIMES, January 5, 2007, Friday<BR>
<BR>
<I>“While eating at your seat at a Broadway theater used to be univer=
sally forbidden, theaters are increasingly allowing patrons to take their dr=
inks, candy and even crunchy munchies to their seats during a show. This let=
-them-eat-snacks philosophy has been embraced at the Helen Hayes, Hilton, Ne=
w Amsterdam, Eugene O'Neill and Walter Kerr Theaters, as well as at all nine=
 houses owned by the Nederlander Organization (the Brooks Atkinson, Gershwin=
, Lunt-Fontanne, Marquis, Minskoff, Nederlander, Neil Simon, Palace and Rich=
ard Rodgers).<BR>
<BR>
“’'It's a reflection of changing audience habits,'’ said =
Jim Boese, the organization's vice president. '’As the audience for Br=
oadway expands, there are changing audience needs. This is part of a broader=
 attempt to enhance the audience experience.'’” ...  </I>(e=
nd excerpt)<BR>
<BR>
...except where your experience infringes upon my experience.  And the=
 money such theaters make off concessions must have something to do with it.=
<BR>
<BR>
Of course, I have to admit I like to drink during plays, especially plays I=
 have either written or directed (though not at a high school performance, t=
hat would be wrong.)  But there’s a big difference between a quie=
t little hip flask and a noisy, ice-filled, 64 ounce Coke.</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3254712191_4295959--