[NEohioPAL]Moving to Hollywood -notes from a coach

Maureen Dempsey fromstage2screen at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 07:00:14 PDT 2007

--0-89425706-1178632814=:33537

Great advice!

  I spent better than 10 years working in the industry as a coach among other things.  I moved back a couple years ago to raise my kids.  Otherwise, I would still be there.

  The life advice you guys are sharing is great but don't forget to add the professional points.  Auditioning there is different from auditioning here.  Casting Directors have great memories and once you blow it it takes a lot to work your way back in.  You need to learn how to audition.  It is a skill separate from acting.  A lot of great actors blow it when it comes to auditioning.  And let me tell you, the best from all over the world all go to LA.  The competition is fierce.  Not to mention the skill of on-camera acting.  This is a completely different game from community theater.  Many stage actors can not adjust to on-camera work and vice versa.  You need training.

  I just don't understand the concept of "born to act."  Too many actors think they "have it" and don't need training.  "I'll just give it a go."  This is a profession just like accounting , law or medicine and the people in this business are serious and devote their lives to it.  If you don't have that level of respect for it then you might as well stay home and play the lottery.     Would it be OK if your grandfather's cardiologist was "out of the loop?'  I am sure he was born to be a doctor.  Many of the actors, writers and producers who make the move to LA have prepared for it for years.

  I know this is coming from an acting coach and you are thinking, "yeah she wants work."  Well I became a coach because so many clueless actors came to LA unprepared and I wanted to save them a lot of heartache wondering why they weren't getting cast.  I trained my theater friends to adjust their performances for the camera.  I was asked to work as a career consultant for TVI auditioning people and giving them direction and then actors started calling me to teach them how to act on-camera.  I went out to be an actress not a coach.  Coaching pursued me.

  So, bottom line is...get in the loop and get prepared if you are going to Los Angeles.  Start as young as you can and learn as much as you can before you go.  It will put you years ahead of the many who land there everyday to "give it a go."  Treat it like a profession and you will put yourself in the company of the other professionals.  The worlds best and worst of everything all seem to head to Hollywood.  Get yourself into the "best of" category.

  Maureen

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.
--0-89425706-1178632814=:33537

<DIV>Great advice!</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>I spent better than 10 years working in the industry as a coach among other things.  I moved back a couple years ago to raise my kids.  Otherwise, I would still be there.</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>The life advice you guys are sharing is great but don't forget to add the professional points.  Auditioning there is different from auditioning here.  Casting Directors have great memories and once you blow it it takes a lot to work your way back in.  You need to learn how to audition.  It is a skill separate from acting.  A lot of great actors blow it when it comes to auditioning.  And let me tell you, the best from all over the world all go to LA.  The competition is fierce.  Not to mention the skill of on-camera acting.  This is a completely different game from community theater.  Many stage actors can not adjust to on-camera work and vice versa.  You need
 training.</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>I just don't understand the concept of "born to act."  Too many actors think they "have it" and don't need training.  "I'll just give it a go."  This is a profession just like accounting , law or medicine and the people in this business are serious and devote their lives to it.  If you don't have that level of respect for it then you might as well stay home and play the lottery.     Would it be OK if your grandfather's cardiologist was "out of the loop?'  I am sure he was born to be a doctor.  Many of the actors, writers and producers who make the move to LA have prepared for it for years.  </DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>I know this is coming from an acting coach and you are thinking, "yeah she wants work."  Well I became a coach because so many clueless actors came to LA unprepared and I wanted to save them a lot of heartache wondering why they weren't getting cast.
 I trained my theater friends to adjust their performances for the camera.  I was asked to work as a career consultant for TVI auditioning people and giving them direction and then actors started calling me to teach them how to act on-camera.  I went out to be an actress not a coach.  Coaching pursued me.  </DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>So, bottom line is...get in the loop and get prepared if you are going to Los Angeles.  Start as young as you can and learn as much as you can before you go.  It will put you years ahead of the many who land there everyday to "give it a go."  Treat it like a profession and you will put yourself in the company of the other professionals.  The worlds best and worst of everything all seem to head to Hollywood.  Get yourself into the "best of" category.   </DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>Maureen</DIV><p>

      <hr size=1>Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?<br> Check out

--0-89425706-1178632814=:33537--