[NEohioPAL]Moving to Hollywood -notes from a coach

Nina McCollum rockandroller1 at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 12:23:55 PDT 2007

As someone who also lived in LA, if you plan on
getting ANY type of "day job" or even a part-time job
to supplement (or be the bulk of) your income while
you work to (hopefully) land some acting work, do NOT
tell potential employers that you are an actor.

Generally speaking, actors in LA are seen as not the
best employees, and that includes actors who work as
bosses and supervisors because they KNOW how the
schedule of an actor can be.  Many actors are seen as
starry-eyed morons (because that's what a lot of them
are.  There are still a lot of people figuratively
getting off a bus with a suitcase and looking for the
drugstore where they can sit to be discovered, or
hanging out at the Polo lounge hoping to get
"noticed") and they're seen as very unstable employees
because they are always calling off or asking to leave
early or come in late because they have an audition,
or a part of some kind.  Even a non-speaking part in a
commercial is going to require at least a full day off
of your day job, perhaps 2, and it may not pay more
than a handful of beans so you have to keep the
regular job.

I don't advocate lying on a resume, but if you want to
get employed out in LA, I would just omit the fact
that you're an actor and plan to look for work in that
field if you are going for any kind of a "regular"
job.  I lived there for quite awhile and couldn't even
get a basic office job until I took out the word
"Theater" on my resume and just left the B.A.

I echo what the previous poster said about having a
huge stash of cash before you go.  You have to put
down a LOT of money on an apartment and some of them
don't include appliances.  They're not like apartments
here, you have to RENT appliances.  It can be a lot
more costly than you think.  And some places are in
neighborhoods bad enough that you must rent space in
the garage.  And then you have to rent a storage
locker, and etc., etc., it all adds up and you're
paying upwards $2K a month before you know it.

Car registration is not a flat fee like it is here in
Ohio.  It is based on a PERCENTAGE of the worth of
your car.  When I lived in LA, I had a crappy Ford
that was several years old and I had to pay $300 to
register it, and this was 10 years ago.  I had to pay
an additional, one time $300 fee at the time of
registration since I had not purchased the car in CA
due to emissions standards.  Even if the car is
manufactured to national emissions standards and you
pass the emissions test (required), you still have to
pay the fee if you bought the car in another state.

A lot of people simply don't anticipate exactly what
it takes to move to LA before they go.

--- Maureen Dempsey <fromstage2screen at yahoo.com>