[NEohioPAL]ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH LOS ANGELES?

Sharon Epstein epstein at operacleveland.org
Tue May 8 06:54:50 PDT 2007

I was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley in S. California.  I
lived there until I was 26.  I am here to tell you that Oliver is
correct, if conservative, about the cost simply of getting from here to
there and into some respectable shelter once you arrive.  As others have
noted, you will not be able to rent digs for less than $800-$1000/month
in the valley or anywhere else (and these are not the nicest
neighborhoods, places like Woodland Hills, Encino and Sherman Oaks will
run more like $1200-$1500 per month for a 1 bedroom.  Go "over the hill"
and the rent only gets higher.  Also remember that for every one
aspiring actor here in Cleveland there are hundreds more out there so
the competition is much more intense that you can possibly imagine.  The
NeoPal community is very unique.  We are extremely lucky to have Mr.
Sternfeld and this amazing list-serve.  No such support structure or
forum exists in LA or anywhere else really.  Living in Los Angeles
requires automobile ownership and registration is twice what we pay here
and insurance is MUCH more.  And, be prepared to travel well over 20
miles per day.  You are realistically going to commute about 20 miles or
more EACH WAY.  Traffic is much more voluminous.   Freeways have up to 5
lanes in each direction and are always densely furnished with fast
moving vehicles.  Roughly triple the number of the cars on the road as
compared to Cleveland.  To drive from the middle of the San Fernando
Valley to Brentwood, Beverly Hills or Hollywood during the usual morning
drive time will take you a minimum of 90 minutes.  The actual distance
traveled between is perhaps 20-25 miles one way.  From LA the planet
feels bigger and more densely populated than it does here in Cleveland.
Also Oliver is defiantly right about "Theatre" careers.  There are
comparatively few stage opportunities in LA.  LA are all about film and
television...if you want a career on a stage I strongly recommend New
York or Chicago over LA.

Having said all of that, the weather there is beautiful 9 months out of
the year and extremely hot and smoggy the other 3.  The opportunity for
amazing success is there but will have to work very, very tenaciously to
achieve.  It is unlikely to happen over night but you just never know
'til you go.

Good Luck!

Sharon=20