[NEohioPAL]Berko review: DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS (Playhouse Square Center)

vanbrujah at aol.com vanbrujah at aol.com
Thu Jun 14 14:51:42 PDT 2007

----------MB_8C97CE554200683_E40_344F_WEBMAIL-RE05.sysops.aol.com

I attended Dirty Rotten Scoundrels last evening, and I'd like to take issue=20=
with a few statements from Mr. Berko's latest "review."
=20

"Songs like =E2=80=9CGreat Big Stuff=E2=80=9D and =E2=80=9CLove Is My Legs=
=E2=80=9D
were audience pleasers. However, =E2=80=9CAll About Ruprecht=E2=80=9D
and =E2=80=9CRuffhousin=E2=80=99 Mit Shuffhausen=E2=80=9D were just too
ridiculous to entertain anyone with at least a normal
IQ."

That's just downright rude, and doesn't belong in a review, period. If you d=
on't have
a sense of humor that's your problem, but don't trash those of us in the aud=
ience who do.
I'd have to say that the majority of last night's audience must have been we=
ll below normal,=20
because most of them seemed to enjoy those numbers quite a bit.

"The opening night audience gave=20
its usual Cleveland standing ovation to a production
which was basically mediocre.  This is the kind of
show that some will love, while others, like the four
ladies sitting behind me, who are self appointed
critics, were debating during intermission whether
they were going to give the show a C- or a D+.=20
Whichever grade they picked was just about right."

I don't understand why you review theatre, when you clearly hate the audienc=
e.
Judging by the tone of this, and most of your reviews, it's obvious that you=
 consider=20
most Cleveland audiences beneath you. You especially seem to have a problem=20=
with standing
ovations - you seem to harp on that over and over again.

It really makes me miss Mike and Ike - with them, I always knew I'd get an a=
ccurate, fair,
and sometimes brutally honest review by someone who actually enjoys live the=
atre and doesn't=20
hate the rest of the audience.

The show was entertaining, the performers did a fine job, and from where I s=
at, the audience=20
seemed like they really enjoyed the show - except for the little old lady in=
 front
of me who jumped when she heard the f-word.

I can't believe crap like that review doesn't make a ripple, yet people got=20=
so pissed off at Jeff Holland
for his Mike and Ike postings. It really makes me miss those reviews - with=20=
them, I always knew I'd=20
get an accurate, fair, and sometimes brutally honest review by someone who a=
ctually enjoys live=20
theatre and doesn't hate the rest of the audience.

 - Sergio Iriarte

=20