[NEohioPAL]An Open Letter to Johnny Wu and NEohioPal Regarding Music for Movies

Christopher kaimei at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 2 00:24:42 PDT 2007

--------------090306080401020508080800

Hi Everybody,

Been a long time since I've posted here, and while this is no free
thought emergency, it is a subject I can respond to as both a filmmaker
and a musician.

Film and music are each time based artistic media.  Both depend on
scripting, production, and recording to source that can be played back
with quality identical, or as close to identical to the moment it was
completed as possible.  But just like actors who choose to work in only
film or only theater can tell you, it is a mountain of difference to
convey what it is one is looking for, what will carry the artist through
the path of the narrative, despite the parallels in the latter
comparison as well.  Actors who work exclusively in one, often
admittedly cannot take direction from directors in the other.  It's an
experiential divide, not one of intelligence or commitment.

I believe that deep down, Bruce's intention (despite words that
translate to the opposite effect) is less, "forget those big shots when
you've got all this talent in your own backyard," and is in fact more
like, "don't FEEL like you have to look far and wide for quality in what
little is available in the free music world, when you might just find it
right in front of you."  At least, I hope so.  It is a good reminder to
area filmmakers that there are some musicians willing to go out of their
way to help local film.

I think it's admirable when high quality work is achieved with an
entirely local collaboration.  But sometimes, whether it be an impasse
conveying what is sought in a musical score, or in being able to step
outside of what's been done before to bring emotion to a film's
narrative, the best of talents and the best of intentions can't always
come together in the end, and more power to the filmmaker OR the
musician who sees this coming and pursues something else, something
BETTER than settling just to avoid the stigma of appearing to not take
interest in giving a neighboring artist a hand up.

It happens to many productions.  It has happened to some of my own.  It
is the reason why so many filmmakers become one man shows, juggling all
the creative tasks they can handle (and sometimes a few dishes break
along the way) just to avoid all the pitfalls that can happen in the
communication process of what should be the best collaborations, let
alone those that are only for the sake of keeping things local.  Anybody
remember, "The Alliance?"

Any creative process that involves a finished production intended to
have a life of its own with an audience as far as it can reach, benefits
from the credibility of well produced collaboration, whether it can be
achieved locally, or otherwise.  And while Moby is doing quite nicely
for himself, and while it is obvious that the point of making available
to artists his music serves to spread his name and keep his art street
cred by "giving back," is that collaboration any less legitimate?  Less
legitimate than theatrical productions that choose to produce a stage
play that is written by someone who never set foot in Ohio as most are?

The truth is, that films, and music for films benefit from anything that
broadens their audience.  Johnny and I would be laughed off of NEOPAL
for admonishing musicians who managed to score a major studio
production, if we "emphatically disagreed with looking much further than
our own region for films to score music to."

Remember the new ground the TV show Miami Vice broke when it integrated
popular and alternative recordings from musicians all around the world
while ALSO becoming famous for its own exclusive in-house score from Jan
Hammer?  It's about what is right for a production, not what is right
for a community when it comes to collaboration.  It's the difference
between thinking outside of what one CAN do, and thinking about what one
COULD do.  I'm not saying that Moby's music "will take us there," I'm
saying that limiting our options won't get us anywhere.

As my "laughed off of NEOPAL" illustration implies, it is the lack of a
"two way street" attitude toward creative equity that is keeping time
based media artists in this region down.  Musicians who want to reach
out to filmmakers in the area can be:  1) offering CDs of 30 second
track samples that producers can use in their productions in exchange
for copy and credit, 2) posting mp3 samples online and 3) going to where
the filmmakers meet with some headphones and a cd or mp3 player and
inviting them to take a quick listen to what you've got.  Maybe this is
already happening, I'm out of the loop, but if these are the complaints
and suggestions of the local music community (or at least the segment
trying to reach out to filmmakers), then it sounds like ideas on
promoting themselves to area producers are in short supply.

Christopher K. Young

Johnny K. Wu wrote:

> Hi Bruce, well said, my post was merely to provide an option for
> anyone who might be interested, if there is something for free for
> anyone: filmmakers, students, nonprofit org. or even other composers
> that can find it useful, why not share that information instead of
> holding it off for oneself?
>

> I am all for using local talent; I've had my share of working with
> local talents such as composers, bands, performers, actors, crews,
> etc. I have also been turned down or ignored when I made a request for
> collaboration, so I know how frustrated that can be, but that never
> stops me to continue better myself or continue working with people and
> continue seeking others out (local or global).
>

> I usually will continue to work with those I've worked with before
> because they were there for me and now I would share my success or
> failure again with them. This is a given. That doesn't mean I won't
> listen to other people's work, but I would be keener to work with
> those who helped me first.  Also please keep in mind, not every
> music/score/band would fit well to what the video/film be, so we have
> to be selective. Same goes to those who choose not to work with me,
> it's a selection they've made, I'll have to deal with that and move on.
>

> As I've said to you in the past, go out and be everywhere and slowly
> the swing of things will start falling in-path with your needs, it is
> a process, just don't stop trying. ;)
>

> NEOPAL list is a community list, we post information on what is
> available locally or nationally that can benefit anyone, a post can be
> a treasure to one but it can be poison to others... Ultimately, it is
> a choice.
>

> Hope you get a chance to meet with more filmmakers and network at the
> Indie Gathering event that is coming up. Again, it's a choice if you
> want to use this opportunity to meet with filmmakers that *might* need
> your talent or you choose not to.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Johnny Wu
>
> www.mdifilm.com <http://www.mdifilm.com/>
>
> www.rapturethemovie.com <http://www.rapturethemovie.com/>

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi Everybody, <br>
Been a long time since I've posted here, and while this is no free
thought emergency, it is a subject I can respond to as both a filmmaker
and a musician.  <br>
Film and music are each time based artistic media.  Both depend on
scripting, production, and recording to source that can be played back
with quality identical, or as close to identical to the moment it was
completed as possible.  But just like actors who choose to work in only
film or only theater can tell you, it is a mountain of difference to
convey what it is one is looking for, what will carry the artist
through the path of the narrative, despite the parallels in the latter
comparison as well.  Actors who work exclusively in one, often
admittedly cannot take direction from directors in the other.  It's an
experiential divide, not one of intelligence or commitment.  <br>
I believe that deep down, Bruce's intention (despite words that
translate to the opposite effect) is less, "forget those big shots when
you've got all this talent in your own backyard," and is in fact more
like, "don't FEEL like you have to look far and wide for quality in
what little is available in the free music world, when you might just
find it right in front of you."  At least, I hope so.  It is a good
reminder to area filmmakers that there are some musicians willing to go
out of their way to help local film.  <br>
I think it's admirable when high quality work is achieved with an
entirely local collaboration.  But sometimes, whether it be an impasse
conveying what is sought in a musical score, or in being able to step
outside of what's been done before to bring emotion to a film's
narrative, the best of talents and the best of intentions can't always
come together in the end, and more power to the filmmaker OR the
musician who sees this coming and pursues something else, something
BETTER than settling just to avoid the stigma of appearing to not take
interest in giving a neighboring artist a hand up.  <br>
It happens to many productions.  It has happened to some of my own.  It
is the reason why so many filmmakers become one man shows, juggling all
the creative tasks they can handle (and sometimes a few dishes break
along the way) just to avoid all the pitfalls that can happen in the
communication process of what should be the best collaborations, let
alone those that are only for the sake of keeping things local.
Anybody remember, "The Alliance?" <br>
Any creative process that involves a finished production intended to
have a life of its own with an audience as far as it can reach,
benefits from the credibility of well produced collaboration, whether
it can be achieved locally, or otherwise.  And while Moby is doing
quite nicely for himself, and while it is obvious that the point of
making available to artists his music serves to spread his name and
keep his art street cred by "giving back," is that collaboration any
less legitimate?  Less legitimate than theatrical productions that
choose to produce a stage play that is written by someone who never set
foot in Ohio as most are?  <br>
The truth is, that films, and music for films benefit from anything
that broadens their audience.  Johnny and I would be laughed off of
NEOPAL for admonishing musicians who managed to score a major studio
production, if we "emphatically disagreed with looking much further
than our own region for films to score music to."  <br>
[...]
ideas on promoting themselves to area producers are in short supply.  <br>
Christopher K. Young<br>
Johnny K. Wu wrote:
 type="cite">
<!--[if !mso]>
v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
<![endif]--><o:SmartTagType
 namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"
 downloadurl="http://www.5iantlavalamp.com/">
  <o:SmartTagType
 namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"
 downloadurl="http://www.5iamas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"><o:SmartTagType
 namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"
 downloadurl="http://www.5iamas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags">
<!--[if !mso]>
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
<![endif]-->
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
 style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; color: navy;">Hi Bruce,
well said, my post was merely to
provide an option for anyone who might be interested, if there is
something for
free for anyone: filmmakers, students, nonprofit org. or even other
composers
that can find it useful, why not share that information instead of
holding it
 style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; color: navy;">I am all for
using local talent; I’ve
had my share of working with local talents such as composers, bands,
performers,
actors, crews, etc. I have also been turned down or ignored when I made
request for collaboration, so I know how frustrated that can be, but
that never
stops me to continue better myself or continue working with people and
continue
 style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; color: navy;">I usually
will continue to work with those
I’ve worked with before because they were there for me and now I would
share my success or failure again with them. This is a given. That
doesn’t
mean I won’t listen to other people’s work, but I would be keener
to work with those who helped me first.  Also please keep in mind, not
every music/score/band would fit well to what the video/film be, so we
have to
be selective. Same goes to those who choose not to work with me, it’s a
 style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; color: navy;">As I’ve said
to you in the past, go
out and be everywhere and slowly the swing of things will start falling
in-path
 style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; color: navy;">NEOPAL list
is a community list, we post
information on what is available locally or nationally that can benefit
anyone,
a post can be a treasure to one but it can be poison to others…
Ultimately,
 style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; color: navy;">Hope you get
a chance to meet with more filmmakers
and network at the Indie Gathering event that is coming up. Again, it’s
choice if you want to use this opportunity to meet with filmmakers that
or you choose not
 style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; color: navy;"><a
 style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Arial; color: navy;"><a
 style="font-size: 12pt;">
 style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma; font-weight: bold;">From:</span></b><span
 style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: Tahoma;">
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:neohiopal-admin at lists.fredsternfeld.com">neohiopal-admin at lists.fredsternfeld.com</a>
[<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="mailto:neohiopal-admin at lists.fredsternfeld.com">mailto:neohiopal-admin at lists.fredsternfeld.com</a>] <b><span
August 01, 2007
6:02 PM<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:NEohioPAL at lists.fredsternfeld.com">NEohioPAL at lists.fredsternfeld.com</a><br>
Open Letter
to Johnny Wu and NEohioPal Regarding Music for Movies</span><o:p></o:p></p>
response to your post today concerning Moby's offer of
free music to film makers. Although I respect your tireless work on
behalf of
independent film in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Cleveland</st1:place></st1:City>,
I must emphatically disagree with this approach of looking much further
than
our own region for music for film, no matter how noble Moby's
intentions may
be.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
are many local musicians and composers who would jump
at scoring independent film if given the chance, myself included. In
fact, a
short time ago I had successfully done so. I considered my
collaboration with
the director as one of the most challenging and rewarding projects I've
undertaken. <o:p></o:p></span></p>
success I was motivated to find other film jobs.
Unfortunately, other local filmmakers were not as interested in
collaboration.
One in particular went out of his way to secure rights for music he
pulled from
his CD collection. Others have opted to not include music in their
project;
others use music without permission. <o:p></o:p></span></p>
makers say to me that they felt an original score was a
good idea at one time, but as the production dates flew by there was no
more time
to collaborate – at which point they succumbed to one of the other ways
of obtaining music I've described. Can one imagine a film maker saying,
"Well, I thought having actors in my film but the time ran out…so I
just went with filming actors off my television." Though I realize the
absurdity of that statement, it helps to illustrate my point. <o:p></o:p></span></p>
that there are not recent or current local film maker /
local composer collaborations that have worked out. I know of a couple
composers that have worked very steadily over the past few years. But
there
needs to be more urgency on behalf of the local indie film maker to
find local
film music artists. Just as technology has provided visual artists with
the
means of reliable and inexpensive ways of editing their work on
personal
computers, so to have musicians benefited from being able to produce
professional-grade music from their home studios. <o:p></o:p></span></p>
nothing against Moby, but he's probably got more gigs
than he can shake a stick at. Why not give local composers, producers
and
musicians a chance when movie music is needed? Why not let NEohioPAL be
the
conduit for making these connections. <o:p></o:p></span></p>
respectfully yours,<o:p></o:p></span></p>
 style="font-size: 12pt;">Shaker Heights</span></st1:City>, <st1:State
 w:st="on">Ohio</st1:State></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p></p>