[NEohioPAL]To Tony Brown

David Budin popcycles at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 27 22:47:47 PDT 2007

--0-1916438143-1188280067=:93689

Tony,

  You're correct, of course, about "candelabra" being plural, but in the same message, he asked whether someone could "loan" them one.  The word should have been "lend."  "Loan" is a noun; "lend" is a verb.

  Speaking of which, why are so many of the messages here filled with so many errors in grammar, spelling, punctuation, word usage, and so on?  It seems that the arts community would be better educated, or would at least want to appear that way.

  I realize that now Tony and I are going to get 643 angry replies from people calling us snobs and elitists or something, and say that this language stuff is not important (because we all understand each other -- that's the usual argument), and we're being petty.  And after a day and a half of that, Fred will tell everyone to go to that other list (in other words, "Take it outside.").  But this stuff is actually important.  Everyone in the arts community needs to write grant applications, letters to donors, public relations material, ads, and all kinds of things where it really does make a difference.  If you're not sure of spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc., it's all really easy to look up, in books and online.

  David Budin

candelabrum is the singular form of the noun. candelabra is plural.   just fyi.         >>> "kevin Rutan" <kevinrutan at gmail.com> 8/27/2007 5:22 PM >>>  Hi I am Kevin Rutan I am stage managing "the Marriage of Bette and Boo"   at  Kent State stark theater we are in need of a candelabra. for the  thanksgiving.  If anyone could see it in your heart to loan us one for   the  show please send me an e-mail thank you.    Kevin Rutan  Stage Manager  330-622-2652  kevinrutan at gmail.com

--0-1916438143-1188280067=:93689

 please send me an e-mail thank you.    Kevin Rutan  Stage Manager  330-622-2652  <A href="http://us.f818.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=kevinrutan@gmail.com&YY=86076&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&order=down&sort=date&pos=0"><FONT color=#003399>kevinrutan at gmail.com</FONT></A>    </TT></PRE><!-- type = message -->
--0-1916438143-1188280067=:93689--