[NEohioPAL]my apology's better than Tony's

kevin Rutan kevinrutan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 20:12:08 PDT 2007

------=_Part_63729_24032092.1188357128005

No problem after the rucus I have decided that a table lamp will read fine
as a candleabraum :)

On 8/28/07, David Budin <popcycles at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Not to be outdone by Tony Brown, I, too, am going to apologize.  Then we
> can all have a 1960s folk music concert.  (Hey, wait =96 that's what I do=
.  Why
> am I making fun of that?)
>
> Anyway, even though the comments I've received are overwhelmingly in favo=
> of my original message (about nine in agreement with me; three not =96 th=
ough
> one of those three wrote four times), it occurred to me (well, more
> accurately, I was hit over the head with the fact that) my remarks may ha=
ve
> been embarrassing to the guy, Kevin, who's message Tony and I both commen=
ted
> on.  (And as a testament to Kevin's obviously great strength of character=
,
> he was not one of the people I heard from =85 I mean, from whom I heard.)
>
> But, see, the thing is, I really did not intend to use him, personally, a=
> a target.  The main points of my message were meant to be very general.  =
And
> I meant what I said: The language and communication problem is getting wo=
rse
> all the time.  And I'm not, as some people, seemed to think, just
> referring to e-mailing, I'm referring to everything I see, including publ=
ic
> relations materials, letters, advertisements, and so on.
>
> What I said in the first message was that this stuff is important,
> especially for those of us in the arts community, where so much of our
> communication relates directly to trying to bring in funding, asking for
> donations, selling tickets, and other things we need to survive.  And jus=
> because you may not know that something =96 grammar, spelling, punctuatio=
n,
> word usage, etc. =96 is wrong, doesn't mean that someone reading your mat=
erial
> won't know it's wrong.  Many will.  This stuff can really negatively
> influence people.  And it's easy enough to fix =96 by checking online
> sources, books, or with people who do know.
>
> But back to the guy, Kevin: I guess I kind of got caught up in the whole
> concept of what I was saying, and forgot that there was an actual person =
at
> the beginning of it.  I was trying to make a general point, and not targe=
> him, but he seemed to get caught in the cross-hairs.
>
> So, Kevin, I apologize to you.  You certainly did not deserve to be seen
> as the target of what I was saying.  Tony Brown and I write for a living,
> for public consumption, and we put ourselves out there on purpose.  We ca=
> expect to get taken to task every once in a while (or more) for things we
> write.  And we are willing and able take back what we send out.  But
> you're not in that position, and even though it wasn't my intention, I pu=
> you in a spotlight that you didn't expect or, I'm sure, want.
>
> So, to you =96 and your supporters out there =96 I'm sorry.
>
> David Budin

------=_Part_63729_24032092.1188357128005

No problem after the rucus I have decided that a table lamp will read fine =
as a candleabraum :) <br><br>
David Budin</b> <<a href=3D"mailto:popcycles at sbcglobal.net">popcycles at sb=
cglobal.net</a>> wrote:</span>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">
e outdone by Tony Brown, I, too, am going to apologize.<span>  </span>=
Then we can all have a 1960s folk music concert.<span>  </span>(Hey, w=
ait =96 that's what I do.
span></div>
even though the comments I've received are overwhelmingly in favor of my or=
iginal message (about nine in agreement with me; three not =96 though one o=
f those three wrote four times), it occurred to me (well, more accurately, =
I was hit over the head with the fact that) my remarks may have been embarr=
assing to the guy, Kevin, who's message Tony and I both commented on.
 of character, he was not one of the people I heard from =85 I mean, from w=
hom I heard.)</span></div>
span></div>
, the thing is, I really did not intend to use him, personally, as a target=
.<span>  </span>The main points of my message were meant to be very ge=
neral.
 problem is getting worse all the time. <span> </span>And I'm not, as =
some people, seemed to think, just referring to e-mailing, I'm referring to=
 everything I see, including public relations materials, letters, advertise=
ments, and so on.
span></div>
aid in the first message was that this stuff is important, especially for t=
hose of us in the arts community, where so much of our communication relate=
s directly to trying to bring in funding, asking for donations, selling tic=
kets, and other things we need to survive.
ammar, spelling, punctuation, word usage, etc. =96 is wrong, doesn't mean t=
hat someone reading your material won't know it's wrong.<span>  </span=
>Many will.
books, or with people who do know.</span></div>
span></div>
 to the guy, Kevin: I guess I kind of got caught up in the whole concept of=
 what I was saying, and forgot that there was an actual person at the begin=
ning of it.
m, but he seemed to get caught in the cross-hairs.</span></div>
span></div>
n, I apologize to you.<span>  </span>You certainly did not deserve to =
be seen as the target of what I was saying.<span>  </span>Tony Brown a=
nd I write for a living, for public consumption, and we put ourselves out t=
here on purpose.
e (or more) for things we write.<span>  </span>And we are willing and =
able take back what we send out.<span>  </span>But you're not in that =
position, and even though it wasn't my intention, I put you in a spotlight =
that you didn't expect or, I'm sure, want.
span></div>
ou =96 and your supporters out there =96 I'm sorry.</span></div><span class=
=3D"sg">
span></div>

------=_Part_63729_24032092.1188357128005--