[NEohioPAL]my apology's better than Tony's

David Budin popcycles at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 28 18:40:57 PDT 2007

--0-163963755-1188351657=:70911

Not to be outdone by Tony Brown, I, too, am going to apologize.  Then we can all have a 1960s folk music concert.  (Hey, wait – that’s what I do.  Why am I making fun of that?)

  Anyway, even though the comments I’ve received are overwhelmingly in favor of my original message (about nine in agreement with me; three not – though one of those three wrote four times), it occurred to me (well, more accurately, I was hit over the head with the fact that) my remarks may have been embarrassing to the guy, Kevin, who’s message Tony and I both commented on.  (And as a testament to Kevin’s obviously great strength of character, he was not one of the people I heard from … I mean, from whom I heard.)

  But, see, the thing is, I really did not intend to use him, personally, as a target.  The main points of my message were meant to be very general.  And I meant what I said: The language and communication problem is getting worse all the time.  And I’m not, as some people, seemed to think, just referring to e-mailing, I’m referring to everything I see, including public relations materials, letters, advertisements, and so on.

  What I said in the first message was that this stuff is important, especially for those of us in the arts community, where so much of our communication relates directly to trying to bring in funding, asking for donations, selling tickets, and other things we need to survive.  And just because you may not know that something – grammar, spelling, punctuation, word usage, etc. – is wrong, doesn’t mean that someone reading your material won’t know it’s wrong.  Many will.  This stuff can really negatively influence people.  And it’s easy enough to fix – by checking online sources, books, or with people who do know.

  But back to the guy, Kevin: I guess I kind of got caught up in the whole concept of what I was saying, and forgot that there was an actual person at the beginning of it.  I was trying to make a general point, and not target him, but he seemed to get caught in the cross-hairs.

  So, Kevin, I apologize to you.  You certainly did not deserve to be seen as the target of what I was saying.  Tony Brown and I write for a living, for public consumption, and we put ourselves out there on purpose.  We can expect to get taken to task every once in a while (or more) for things we write.  And we are willing and able take back what we send out.  But you’re not in that position, and even though it wasn’t my intention, I put you in a spotlight that you didn’t expect or, I’m sure, want.

  So, to you – and your supporters out there – I’m sorry.

  David Budin

--0-163963755-1188351657=:70911

<DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Not to be outdone by Tony Brown, I, too, am going to apologize.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Then we can all have a 1960s folk music concert.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>(Hey, wait – that’s what I do.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Why am I making fun of that?)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">Anyway, even though the comments I’ve received are overwhelmingly in favor of my original message (about nine in agreement with me; three not – though one of those three wrote four times), it occurred to me (well, more accurately, I was hit over the head with the fact that) my remarks may have been
 embarrassing to the guy, Kevin, who’s message Tony and I both commented on.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>(And as a testament to Kevin’s obviously great strength of character, he was not one of the people I heard from … I mean, from whom I heard.)<o:p></o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">But, see, the thing is, I really did not intend to use him, personally, as a target.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>The main points of my message were meant to be very general.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>And I meant what I said: The language and communication problem is getting worse all the time. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>And I’m not, as some people, seemed to think, just referring to e-mailing, I’m referring to everything I see, including public
 relations materials, letters, advertisements, and so on.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">What I said in the first message was that this stuff is important, especially for those of us in the arts community, where so much of our communication relates directly to trying to bring in funding, asking for donations, selling tickets, and other things we need to survive.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>And just because you may not know that something – grammar, spelling, punctuation, word usage, etc. – is wrong, doesn’t mean that someone reading your material won’t know it’s wrong.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Many will.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>This stuff can really negatively influence people.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>And it’s easy
 enough to fix – by checking online sources, books, or with people who do know.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">But back to the guy, Kevin: I guess I kind of got caught up in the whole concept of what I was saying, and forgot that there was an actual person at the beginning of it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>I was trying to make a general point, and not target him, but he seemed to get caught in the cross-hairs.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">So, Kevin, I apologize to you.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>You certainly did not deserve to be seen as the target of what I was saying.<SPAN
 style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Tony Brown and I write for a living, for public consumption, and we put ourselves out there on purpose.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>We can expect to get taken to task every once in a while (or more) for things we write.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>And we are willing and able take back what we send out.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>But you’re not in that position, and even though it wasn’t my intention, I put you in a spotlight that you didn’t expect or, I’m sure, want.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">So, to you – and your supporters out there – I’m sorry.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN></DIV>  <DIV
 class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt">David Budin<o:p></o:p></SPAN></DIV>