[NEohioPAL] The Cleveland Jazz Orchestra presents:

marcus at designerglass.com marcus at designerglass.com
Thu Oct 4 10:27:35 PDT 2007

The Cleveland Jazz Orchestra presents:

SAX N BONES: The Music of Rich Shanklin and Chas Baker

John A. Schantz, Music Director
October 5 & 6, 2007 8:00 p.m.
The Bop Stop 2920 Detroit Avenue
$33 each

FOR TICKETS CALL -- 216/521-2540

Reeds
Kent Engelhardt
John Klayman
Rich Shanklin
Tom Reed
George Shernit
Trombones
Paul Ferguson
Scott Garlock
Chas Baker
Bass Trombone
Eric Rowles (Fri)
Paul Hungerford (Sat)
Trumpets
Lou Pisanni
David Banks
Jack Schantz
Erik Gimble
Piano
Phil Lantry
Bass
David Morgan
Drums
Mark Gonder
Percussion
Rafael Guzman
Vibes
Ron Busch
Violin
Carrie Klayman-
Singler
Vocals
Barbara Knight

Program:

DEAR OLD STOCKHOLM Chas Baker
BEYOND THE BLUEBIRD Rich Shanklin
FALLING IN LOVE WITH LOVE Rich Shanklin
LIEBESLIED Rich Shanklin
THE WAYBACK MACHINE Chas Baker
THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES Rich Shanklin
QUASI MODAL Chas Baker
GRATITUDE Chas Baker
LIKE A LOVER Chas Baker
GROOVIN´ HIGH Rich Shanklin
THERE´S NO YES IN YESTERDAY Rich Shanklin

Sax...
Rich Shanklin
Rich Shanklin has had extensive experience in the fields of saxophone
performance, jazz education, and composition/arranging. His teachers have
included Dr. Eugene Rousseau (saxophone) and David Baker (jazz studies).
Since coming to the University of Akron in 1982, his teaching responsibilities
have included classical and jazz saxophone, as well as courses in Jazz
History, Jazz Arranging, Jazz Improvisation, Woodwind Pedagogy, and the
Business of Music.
He is a member of "Iron Toys," a woodwind quartet whose members are
practicing professional musicians in the NE Ohio area; this group was invited
to perform at the 2006 OMEA Convention. Rich is a first call woodwind
doubler who has performed in dozens of musical theater productions in the
Cleveland and Akron area. As a classical saxophonist, he has performed
concert repertoire with the Cleveland Orchestra, the Akron and Canton
Symphonies, the Ohio Chamber Orchestra, the Blossom Concert Band, the
Blossom Festival Orchestra, and the Cleveland Chamber Symphony. Rich´s
jazz saxophone experiences are equally varied. In addition to being a regular
member of the Jack Schantz Jazz Unit, he has been a member of the
Cleveland Jazz Orchestra (CJO) since 1988, and joined them in their 2006
engagement with Joe Lovano at the Birdland Jazz Club in New York City. His
arrangements have been performed and recorded by the CJO at the 1993
International Trumpet Guild, as well as for their CD "Traditions." His
commissioned arrangements for the USAF Rhythm in Blue, a jazz ensemble
based in Langley, VA, have been recorded on their CD "Eternal Triangle." An
original composition of his (performed by the University of North Texas `1:00´
Lab Band) was nominated for a Grammy Award.

A Message from Rich
Writing for THIS ensemble is both a challenge and the ultimate treat for a
composer/arranger. It is an incredible feeling to know that whatever I write will
always be played at a consistently high level by the musicians you see here on
the stage. I can guarantee you that every musician you see here feels lucky to
be playing with this ensemble. This level of musicianship is part of what we
train for, and we THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE to enjoy our efforts. We´re
having fun, just like you!

`N´ Bones...
Chas Baker
Trombonist Chas Baker is a charter member of CJO. He has directed Jazz
Ensembles at Kent State University since 1977. His professional background
includes experience as trombone soloist with the Austrian Radio and
Television Network Big Band in Vienna, Austria, where he played with Art
Farmer. In 1968-´69 as a U.S. Army bands man he was soloist with the 1st Air
Cavalry Division Band, Viet Nam. Since returning from abroad he has been an
active player in the Cleveland area, performing with the Cleveland Jazz
Orchestra, Jack Schantz Jazz
Unit at The Cleveland Bop Stop, and for Cleveland Playhouse Square
productions. He is active as clinician, soloist and adjudicator in public schools
and colleges throughout Northeastern Ohio and Massachusetts.
Mr. Baker has written jazz compositions and arrangements for CJO, The Jazz
Unit, Kent State Jazz Ensemble and high school jazz bands. In addition to
conducting Jazz Ensembles at Kent his duties include teaching courses in
Jazz History, Improvisation, Ear Training, Composing / Arranging and Jazz
Pedagogy. In 1997 he received the Kent State University Alumni Association,
Kent State Foundation Distinguished Teaching Award . He received his B.A.
and M.M. degrees from Kent State University and graduated from the U.S.
Army/Navy School of Music at Norfolk, Virginia.

A Message from Chas
I don´t consider myself a prolific composer but I like to try to turn out a good
piece every once in awhile. The pieces for this concert (The Wayback
Machine, Quasi Modal, Gratitude, Dear Old Stockholm, and Like A Lover) are
mostly derived from the Jazz Unit library, reset here specifically for the CJO.
Many thanks to our special guests, Barbara Knight, Ron Busch and Rafael
Guzman for adding their special touch to this music.. I have always
considered it an honor and a joy to play with this group and be surrounded by
all of these great musicians. It has been a continuous learning experience for
me and I am very grateful to have the opportunity to write music and have it
played by wonderful musicians who are also good friends. Who could ask for
anything more?

For More Information:
marcus at clevelandjazz.org
216/780-1522