[NEohioPAL] So long Cleveland!

L C msprospero at msn.com
Sat Oct 20 19:24:52 PDT 2007

Dear Cleveland Theatre Community

I was in Cleveland just a short while, and recently moved back 'home' to the
west coast --but I've found some wonderful people and organizations in
Cleveland and I'd like to make a final post to give you an 'outsider's view'
of your fair city, and to say thanks and so long:

THANKS TO JEAN ZARZOUR -An amazing multi- threat talent  who opened her
heart and arms and welcomed me to the area,  and showed me around and
introduced me to everyone she could - and who got me to finish my voice over
demo!!!  (See her class info at www.Lipschtick.com)   And who is a tireless
advocate for actors rights and for us getting paid in even the smaller
markets - check out her Gotpay? Website as well!.

Thanks to Licia (and Lucia) Columbi at Ensemble Theatre for taking a chance
on me as a  newcomer to the area - and letting me play Seraphina in The Rose
Tattoo - a role of a life time and a play to be proud of.   Thank you Licia
- you made the trip to Cleveland worth all the pain of leaving my work on
the west coast :-)   A venerable treasure of a theatre, a wonderful place to
showcase your talent, and an institution that deserves recognition, and your
patronage for their years of unflagging passion and the material that they
choose to present!

Thanks to Greg Cesear at Cesear's Forum for also taking a chance on an
unknown and letting me play with the great Glenn Colerider in 'The
Unexpected Man'  -- a gem of a play done by a GEM of a theatre company - now
THAT's a cutting edge theatre company.  Amazing what they produce - and
accomplish!  Amazing.  Go see their plays and send all your friends.

Thanks to Seth Gordon at the Cleveland Play House - (and Mark Alan Gordon )-
who put together an excellent Master Class that got me through my first
winter here (I came in from San Diego - brrrrr!) and who gave me the "5-cent
tour" of that wonderful facility and made me feel welcome to the area.  Seth
is such a great addition to the casting scene for local actors - go Seth!!!
How wonderful it was to play on 'the' oldest regional theatre stage (the
Brooks with Ensemble) - what a wonderful gift Cleveland has in the Cleveland
Play House.

Thanks and good luck to Tom Woodward:  another excellent talent (also new to
Cleveland), that so far has been under-utilized in this market  --  for all
his creative input and help with various projects on so many levels - this
guy is good for theatre.

Bravo to this town's AFTRA (especially Cathy Albers, Mike Kraft and Greg
Violand); and AEA liaisons (especially Tracee Patterson ) - some of the most
involved and committed board/liaison members that I've ever known.
Cleveland union members, you are lucky to have these people in your court:
they work HARD for their unions and the membership.

Bravo to Karamu Theatre - the oldest African-American regional theatre in
the country, with an amazing history and, hopefully an even more amazing
future  A theatre that continues to produce diverse work that might not
otherwise be seen in this area, committed to true and consistent diversity
in it's casting, giving actors and directors of all races a chance to
develop their craft - bravo and good luck, Karamu!

Bravo to the Contingency Theatre - amazing work and they go for the most
excellent material.  A great theatre company in the making.

Bravo to the dance companies that I've seen while here - wow.  Consider how
much great work they manage to put up and under the toughest of
circumstances.

Bravo to the Cleveland Theatre Collective - I hope that they will continue
to sustain and grow - it's a good idea and a good organization - I hope it
gets the member support that it needs.

Bravo to all the film makers in Cleveland --  a thrilling and thriving indie
film community is here - I loved finding that out about Cleveland -- Good
luck to you all-  I'll look for your work at the festivals on the western
side of the country!

THANK YOU Cleveland Scene editors!!!!   You know what I mean - that was the
BEST surprise and such an honor - THANK YOU --

Thanks to Jeon Francis and the Artistschair.com site --   great site,
wonderful service for all creative people --  thank Jeon!

BIG GIANT THANKS and BRAVO to:   Fred Sternfeld and Neohiopal.    Even the
two crazy guys that wrote to me and told me not to post any more messages -
ha!      Fred --  you rock.   Best of luck to you in all your many endeavors
and projects -You and Neohiopal are the heart of this community.   Thanks
for all you do Fred.

I'm outta here, Cleveland!  As Douglas Adams says in Hitchhiker's Guide to
the Galaxy:   "So long, and thanks for all the fish!"   (especially the
delicious Walleye!)

Break legs -  and GO INDIANS  (I became a die-hard Indians fan while there
-:-))

Sincerely,

Linda Castro