[NEohioPAL] Collages by Jan Noden Art Exhibition

Standing Rock Cultural Arts info at standingrock.net
Mon Nov 5 07:07:31 PST 2007

Greetings,

WHO: Standing Rock Cultural Arts

WHAT: "Reconfigurations" Jan Noden Art Exhibition
-Collages
-Music by Eric Noden at the Opening Reception

WHEN: Saturday, November 24th, 8pm Opening Reception
-Show runs through December 4th

WHERE: North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water St., Kent

CONTACT: 330-673-4970

GALLERY HOURS: Thursday-Saturday 1-5pm or by appointment.

www.standingrock.net for updates

ABOUT THE ARTIST

Artist's Statement

Reconfigurations: Collages by Jan Noden

The Recipe Series

Art, for me, is always an analogy of life. Each meaningful experience I
have finds expression in my work. As a mother, teacher, and an artist,
my work often mirrors the dichotomy of these multiple roles.

In my Recipe Series, for example, art functions as a liberation from the
demands of family and teaching. Yet at the same time, the very demands
that I am escaping provide the central themes for this work.

In the work entitled “Sauce,” the process of cooking parallels the
process of collage. Just as I combine and vary ingredients to alter a
recipe imaginatively, so in the artistic process, I combine mixed media
using my drawings, photogram, photographs, frottage, and monotype to
portray kitchen images.

The Birch Bark Series

The Birch Series was inspired by dying birch trees in our woods. My hope
was to capture their essence in a series of works before they vanished.
The varied artistic elements energize each other, relating in a unified
whole. In harmony with nature's birch, like the trees themselves, these
collages cannot be duplicated with modern technology.

Birch Series # 4 contains three pieces of birch bark along with the
following original art elements: my photo of a birch limb, torn
monotypes, a section of a painting, and papier-mâché.

Other Explorations

Other directions in my journey into collage include studies of figures
(Cat Nap and Bravado) and themes of nature (Tree of Life and Hide and
Seek).

In some instances the figure and nature are combined. For example, Cat
Nap blends the dream-like harmony of a cat nap unifying a young woman,
three sequential images of a cat, and a nearly imperceptible older
man--- all integrated among the clouds.

Jan Noden: Brief Biographical Statement

After Jan earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education, her love of
watercolor motivated her to also pursue a Bachelor of Arts Degree in
Painting. Based on the quality of her work over several years, the Ohio
Watercolor Society and National Collage Society inducted her as a
signature member. Although she continues to explore the possibilities of
water media, new ideas have enticed her to explore collage and monotype.
Her artwork in these various media has been exhibited in local, state
and national competitions.

Jan Noden Resume
2783 Work Road, Ravenna, Ohio 44266 330-626-1704 (hnoden at uakron.edu)

Recent Juried Exhibitions 2002-2007
The View: An All Ohio Landscape Competition
23rd Annual National Collage Show
Kaleidoscope Exhibition
Butler Institute of American Art National Midyear Show
Artists of the Rubber City
Art on View: An Annual All-Ohio Juried Art Exhibition
Women Artists: A Celebration
Cuyahoga Valley Art Exhibition
19th Annual National Collage Show
Juried Exhibitions Prior to 2002
Butler Institute of American Art Area Artists Show
Pittsburgh National Aqueous Open
Ohio Watercolor Society Exhibition (Davis -Wing Award)
Pennsylvania Watercolor Society National Show
National Collage Show (work selected as cover for Fanfare Magazine)
Cuyahoga Valley Art Exhibition
Ohio Regional Exhibition
Hudson Society of Artists
National Collage Society Postcard Show
Degrees
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree, University of Akron
Bachelor of Science Degree in Education, Slippery Rock State College
Teaching Experience
Spring Garden Waldorf School in Copley, Ohio
Kent City Schools in Kent, Ohio
Penn Hills School District in Penn Hills, Pennsylvania
Art Organization Memberships
Ohio Watercolor Society
Cuyahoga Valley Art Center
Hudson Society of Artists