[NEohioPAL] Equipment needed

Drew drew at arothman.com
Wed Nov 14 09:34:50 PST 2007

Hi Elaine,

No such equipment exists.  True vocal removal is technologically
impossible in most cases.  There are phase cancellation methods that can
be used to remove /most/ of a vocal from a recording, but they're only
really effective if the vocal is panned dead-center in the mix and has
no reverb or other effects applied to it.  For most recordings, you end
up with a mono version of the track where the original vocal is reduced
but still fairly audible in the background.

Your best bet is to hit iTunes or some other service that sells karaoke
tracks and look for a vocal-free backing track for whatever song you're
looking for.

Drew Rothman

www.arothman.com
web design for the arts