[NEohioPAL] Female Model Needed Immediately for Life DrawingClass at Beck Center

Brian Bowers bjbowers4584 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 06:48:52 PST 2008

The economy in Cleveland is bad, but not that bad. As the print agent for the Talent Group in Cleveland (www.talentgroup.com) I once got a model $1,250.00 and HOUR, with a 4 hour minimum to bare her breasts for a photo shoot. That comes to $5,000 for up to a 4 hour shoot, plus a 20% agency fee. So there is money out there, and there's definitely opportunities for models to make money, even in Cleveland.

  Now, I will say that what Bill is saying below is a common story that I hear among some of the photographers we work with. So in defense of what Bill is saying here, I think the bigger problem is often not with the photographers or production companies who are shooting the project and hiring the models, but with the major corporations who suck the life out of the artistic community by crying poor when it comes to paying talent, paying the creatives, etc., so they are able to suck up an even bigger profit.

  Also, while I agree that the rate for the life models for the Beck Center class that originally started this current argument is far too low, I will again point out that there is a big difference between a big advertising piece where some company is making hand over fist versus a class that's purely for educational value. Consequentially, I think lower rates for something like the life drawing class are more acceptable than the $25 to $50 an hour quoted below for catalogue work and print ads. Personally I would never take off my clothes for $11/hr (you'd have to at least buy me dinner first), but I think some of the attacks on Beck are a little harsh just considering that they are part of the same artistic community that we all are.

  For someone interested in getting started in modeling, I would say it's almost always a safer bet to sign with a reputable agency. Besides the Talent Group, there are several others in the area. As an agent, I would personally pass on any print job that was paying $25 to $50 an hour for adults. While I realize that many people (including myself) would love to take a gig that pays $50 an hour, I do stand by the fact that this is below the current industry standard (for the most part, my adults models make $150/hr), and I strongly believe that the more we give in and take lower paying jobs, the more this empowers the major corporations that are the end clients to cut budgets even more. You have to remember--even though this is an artistic venture for us, in the end it all comes down to profits.

  Best wishes and good luck to all.

  Brian Bowers
  The Talent Group
  www.talentgroup.com

Central Products Info <info at centralproducts.net> wrote:
  Unfortunately, because of the economy in Northeast Ohio, models can be hired
for much less than they make in cities like Chicago or even Pittsburgh. As a
commercial photographer, I hire models for print projects usually in the $25
to $50 per hour range. That's for models with little experience or with a
lot of experience, and it doesn't matter if it's a lingerie, partial nude or
nude shoot.

Before you blast me with evil emails, it's not my fault. The clients don't
give us big budgets because they know we can hire models here for less. And
they pay me less, too. I take more projects in Chicago than Cleveland for
that reason. Why should I work for $50 per hour here when I can make $125 to
$200 per hour in Chicago? And my models make $75 to $125 per hour in
Chicago.

But tell me the truth, who will turn down a modeling job for $25 to $50 an
hour in Cleveland unless you're traveling to Chicago or New York for bigger
bucks? You can't make $50 per hour working at the mall!

I know I'll be flooded with emails from models who want print jobs, and
that's okay. I have a number of local jobs I can hire for. I also have
catalog jobs in Chicago I can bring models to that pay more. We all take
what we can get.

I've been doing this for over 30 years. I'd gladly do most of my work here
in Cleveland, but, like the models, I can't afford to. We either work second
jobs, or travel to better-paying cities.

I still do work here because the rent's cheaper, the cost of living is
cheaper, I get a lot of "filler" jobs, and I have a lifetime of contacts.
I'd rather keep my home base here (near all our family,too) and travel, than
move.
Bill Brucken
BruckenStudio.com
BB at BruckenStudio.com