[NEohioPAL] State of the Theater

Wolveschewtoy at aol.com Wolveschewtoy at aol.com
Thu Feb 14 05:59:41 PST 2008

Ok, I guess I'm going to date myself a bit here.
   Back in the late 50's and early 60's (see- I told you so!)  Theater in
Chicago was almost non-existent. I worked lighting at Encore Theater  in
Chicago's Old Town. It was a semi-Professional Theater with a pass from  Equity to
allow pro's to keep their hand in, so to speak.
   Just down the block a bit was a fledgling group called Second  City. I'm
proud to have taken lessons there, but discovered that I wasn't great  at
improv. Loved her Theater exercises though!
   Encore did Musicals mostly, had a 199 seat theater, and lost a  ton of
money every year. It closed (sold to the Royal London Wax Museum, and do  I have
stories about THAT!) in 1967. Towards the end, we began doing reviews of
about 1 1/2 hours, and were making money. Speaks to peoples attention span, I
guess!
   Now to the point. 10 years later, Chicago had a vibrant and  extensive
Performing Arts presence! I wish I could tell you how it happened, but  I was
away at school, and then in the Marines. I suggest that anyone serious  about
improving things here find out a bit more about how that happened. I do  know
that a lot of small theaters sprung up first, and then larger ones  followed.
Dinner theater was hugely popular! Something about watching from the  same table
you ate at, and eating desert during intermission I suppose.
   I have only lived in this area for a few years and thought  that it looked
like you have a great performing arts community here. I guess  that the main
challenge is in getting the audience attendance up. My guess  is that bringing
in students from grade school and middle school is certainly a  great start.

   Curtiss

Awards. Go to AOL Music.