[NEohioPAL] State of the Theater

Brian Diehl scoopdiehl at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 07:39:22 PST 2008

I would argue that getting "butts in the seats" has been a problem for about 60 years.  As recently as the late 1940s, theater was a primary form of entertainment across North America.  Not just theatrical productions (which we can liken to movies and television shows) but, vaudeville (which parallels sitcoms, variety shows and even reality TV).

  While both were very popular, vaudeville was the opiate of the masses - it was affordable, easily understood and there was a new show every week (sometimes more frequently).  Going to the theater was something which many of our parents and grandparents introduced us to - it's what they grew up doing.

  Alas, with the advent of motion pictures - particularly the "talkies," theater owners figured out quickly that they could have the biggest names in Hollywood in their theaters every night, consistent performances and sober, on-time actors for a smaller payroll (just keep that popcorn stand open).  While this may not have completely killed "legitimate" theater, it did kill vaudeville.  Vaudeville may not have been the pinnacle of theatrical arts, but it was something that got "butts in the seats."  Live theater has been suffering ever since.

  In 1913, Frederic LaDelle listed more than 90 different types of acts which were being performed on the vaudeville circuit.  I have listed many of these in excepts form his book, "How to Enter Vaudeville" at www.myspace.com/howtoentervaudeville (you can view the blog for free).

  Of course, you can learn more about the book at:  www.howtoentervaudeville.com

  Break Legs!
  Brian Diehl
  330.283.9550