[NEohioPAL] State of the theatre

Lincoln King-Cliby lking-cliby at lincoln.homeip.net
Wed Feb 13 13:17:30 PST 2008

One of the things that motivated me to move to Cleveland was how vibrant the
arts scene is and how accessable it is. Ticket prices are, for the most
part, reasonable quality is good, and choice is nearly endless. What
concerns me, though, is the graying audience; maybe it's the productions I
make it to at the times that I make it, but it seems that each year the
average audience member gets a year older.

I've commented on it here before, but I think some of the "arts" eduction in
schools does more harm than good. I can speak from personal experience that
I still have a profound hatred of Shakespeare's works thanks to one too many
monotone "Rome, uh, o...oh Rome-o...where was I?" recitations in my High
School English classes. [GLTF, among others, has provided therapy to ease
that reaction].

Had I not discovered the power of Musical Theater or well-staged drama...
there's a very good chance I would have said "Forget this" long ago.

La Jolla Playhouse in [the] San Diego [area], on the UCSD campus had both
"rush" (unsold tickets at, IIRC, 30 minutes before curtain were available
for some ridiculously low rate) and a "student" program where anyone under a
certain age (22? 23?) could call any time during the week before a
performance and get the same low-low rate. I was fortunate enough to see the
original staging of Jersey Boys twice, among others, through this program.
(And assuming I can make the scheduling and finances work on my end, I'm
planning on attending the touring production rolling through Playhouse
Square later this summer)

There are also younger theater companies producing with an eye toward
younger audiences, such as Fourth Wall Productions that I hope will grow
awareness not only of their own mission but theater in general.

And Cleveland is a fantastic theater market, at least for the audience
member -- there are still literally dozens of companies/venues (Beck, etc.
etc.) that I haven't yet had the opportunity to "try out".

It is kind of depressing though to be browsing profiles on a certain .com
singles site and see plenty of mentions of professional sports and not one
mention of [live] theater, opera, or the orchestra.

When any live production is bad, it's bad, but when it's good it's pure
magic. Theater is a very "in the now" experience -- no two performances of a
work are identical, and what you are seeing is not going to be repeated.

Lincoln
(Cleveland Heights)