[NEohioPAL] Dance Classes - What's in it for you?

MegLouise Dance meglouisedance at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 21:56:41 PST 2008

You are working to stay active and stay healthy.  You go to the gym, you take Pilates or you go running with a friend.  But, you're still stressed, bored and ready for a change.  Might I suggest a modern dance class?

Beginning Modern Dance
Mondays 7:30 - 8:30pm
At Studio 11 in Tremont
2337 W 11th Street; Cleveland, OH
$10 drop in / $30 monthly
With Instructor Megan Pitcher  –  artistic director for MegLouise Dance, guest artist with MorrisonDance and adjunct faculty at Cuyahoga Community College Western Campus.

"WHY TAKE A MODERN DANCE CLASS?"  YOU ASK.

QUESTION:
1.  What is modern dance?
2.  What is the point in taking dance classes?
3.  Is it hard to learn?

ANSWER:
1.  Modern dance embraces a range of movement styles.  It can be as upright and extended as ballet, as sinuous and strong as jazz and still be as syncopated and intense as hip hop.  The techniques of modern dance developed over 100 years ago, but they are still relevant and fresh today.

2.  Modern dance training increases your body's strength and flexibility in a functionally relevant way.  Dance class gives you better posture, balance, and resilience - everything that otherwise deteriorates with age.  It challenges your mind and teaches you to be a more efficient learner.  Dancing relieves stress.  Dancing in a class allows you to connect to others in a creative way.  Dance training raises you confidence.  If you ever thought it was to late for your body to change, modern dance will change your mind.

3.  I used to say that dance was easy to learn and I thought I meant it.  Its the most natural thing we do.  Dancing is as old as history.  Children dance to music before they are even taught how.  Dancing IS easy.  But, learning to dance is a challenge.  It takes discipline, trust, patience, careful thought and lots of practice.  Dance classes aren't easy, but nothing worth learning is.  The challenge will pay off.  Dancers tend to be incredibly successful, dependable and capable individuals with excellent time management and deductive reasoning skills.  That could be you.

DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.  READ WHAT OTHER ADULT BEGINNERS HAVE TO SAY:

I really enjoy modern. I like how it flows but still maintains the technical qualities of ballet.  –  The rolling feels good for my back and I am starting to feel certain muscles work that I have not been using.  –  I loved our warm up with the legs, all the movements really stretch and let you move more liberally, and are very relaxing, I would love to do more modern.  –  And by the way, I think I must have been doing something right, because my inner thighs are really letting me know they exist.  –  To tell you the truth, I was never into modern dancing because my teachers were so into it that they couldn't have fun.  But with you I realized you can have fun and learn it at the same time.  So, thank you so much.  –  I believe I have made great improvements since the beginning of class. I have also learned a lot about dance and I appreciate much more than I used to.  –  My entire body is sore. From my neck down to my toes. But I would like to thank my teacher for this
 exciting experience.  –  I really like modern a lot.  It's fun and freeing.   Another plus is that I'm actually kind of good at it.  It makes me think of a very free-moving dance that makes you lose your inhibitions.

TO LEARN MORE, CONTACT:

QUICK REFERENCE:
Upcoming Dance Performances Listing
www.meglouisedance.blogspot.com