[NEohioPAL] Beck Center Youth Theater presents The Wizard of Oz, April 18-27

Fran Storch fstorch at beckcenter.org
Tue Apr 1 10:21:18 PDT 2008

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
April 1, 2008
Direct questions to: (216) 521-2540
Yvette Hanzel, ext. 22
Dawn Youngs, ext. 17

Beck Center for the Arts
Youth Theater presents
The Wizard of Oz
April 18-27, 2008
An adaptation of the film by John Kane
of the Royal Shakespeare Company

            Lakewood, OH - Beck Center for the Arts Youth Theater
presents The Wizard of Oz, a musical fantasy on the Mackey Main Stage,
April 18 through 27.   Directed by Douglas Collier, this adaptation is
based on the classic motion picture starring Judy Garland.  Audiences,
young and old, will be swept "over the rainbow" as they follow their
favorite characters - Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, and
Toto too, on their journey along the yellow brick road.  Show times are
7:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and 3 p.m. Sundays.  There will be a
special matinee performance on 10:00 a.m. Tuesday, April 24.  For
tickets, call the Beck Center Box Office at 216-521-2540.  Beck Center
is located at 17801 Detroit Avenue in Lakewood, just ten minutes west of
downtown Cleveland.  Free on-site parking is available.
The Wizard of Oz features a cast of 75 talented students from the Beck
Center Education Program.  "Having the opportunity to be a part of this
process is something I never thought possible." commented Collier "Not
only am I able to work with over 70 very talented young actors, I am
also helping them bring one of my favorite stories to the stage."
Collier has appeared on the Beck Center stage in numerous professional
theater productions, most recently as Cogsworth the Clock in Disney's
Beauty and the Beast, and has worked behind stage as Musical Director
for several productions.  He also teaches Theater Education classes at
Beck Center but this is his debut directing a Youth Theater production.
"I am so excited about this production that even if I had no part in it,
I would still have to come and see the show.  These kids are that good."
The Wizard of Oz features music and lyrics by Harold Arlen and E.Y.
Harburg, background music by Herbert Stothart, dance and vocal
arrangements by Peter Howard, and orchestrations by Larry Wilcox.  This
production is based upon the motion picture owned by Turner
Entertainment Co. and distributed in all media by Warner Bros.  Musical
direction for The Wizard of Oz is by Larry Goodpaster, who recently
musically directed Beauty and the Beast at Beck Center with choreography
by Devon Shriver.
Tickets for The Wizard of Oz are $10 for adults and $8 for children (12
and under).  Discounts are available for groups of 13 or more.  To
reserve tickets, call the Beck Center Box Office at 216-521-2540.
The Wizard of Oz is sponsored by Cox Communications, Music Is
Elementary, Lakewoodbuzz.com, and the Ohio Arts Council.  Programming at
the Beck Center is made possible through the generous support of The
Cleveland Foundation, The George Gund Foundation, The John P. Murphy
Foundation, The Kulas Foundation, The Eva L. & Joseph M. Bruening
Foundation, The Abington Foundation, and the Thomas H. White Foundation.
The Beck Center also gratefully acknowledges the citizens of Cuyahoga
County for their support through Cuyahoga Arts and Culture.
###
About the Beck Center
Beck Center for the Arts is a comprehensive arts organization which
offers professional theater productions on two stages, arts education
classes in dance, music, theater, and visual arts, and art exhibits
featuring local and regional artists.  For more information go to
www.beckcenter.org <http://www.beckcenter.org/> .

Posted by:
Fran Storch
Marketing Assistant