[NEohioPAL] Playhouse Square Invites Proposals for Artist Residencies

Cindi Szymanski Cindi at playhousesquare.org
Mon Apr 21 08:06:31 PDT 2008

PLAYHOUSE SQUARE INVITES PROPOSALS
FOR "LAUNCH" ARTIST RESIDENCIES

Cleveland, OH - The Arts Education Department at Playhouse Square now will accept proposals for its Launch artist residency program on an on-going basis.  Launch residencies are intended to support invention and innovation in performance and to foster new relationships between Northeast Ohio artists and the public.

"We have changed the Launch proposal process to better serve the Northeast Ohio artistic community," said Colleen Porter, director of arts education at Playhouse Square. "Applications will be reviewed as they are received and we will work with the artists selected for the program to create a meaningful experience."

Residency packages can include rent-free use of space in the Idea Center at Playhouse Square (Westfield Insurance Studio Theatre, Gund Foundation Dance Studio and/or Miller Family Arts Education Classroom), production subsidy and marketing and media relations support.  Past Launch participants include Dance/Theater Collective, Journey Projects, Groundworks Dancetheater and Tandem Act Productions.

The Arts Education Department encourages submission of proposals from:

 *   Professional performance creators from Northeast Ohio at any stage in their career who are able to demonstrate prior artistic endeavors and a clear artistic mandate.

 *   Performing artists/groups from diverse cultural communities and from a variety of performing arts mediums including music, theater and dance.  Visual artists are not eligible.

 *   Artists who are committed to the development of new, inventive and creative performance-based work.

Special consideration is given, but not limited to, the creation of new work intended for young audiences.

"Our goal is to give local artists the space and support they need to develop a specific project," explained Porter.  "Whether they need to workshop it, rehearse it or change it, we do not have any specific requirements about what stage a project must be in to be eligible for Launch.  Our aim is to support the artistic process of local companies and therefore have no public performance requirement for Launch."

Launch is modeled on a successful program created by the Harbourfront Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Hatch).

Applications are available online at www.PlayhouseSquare.org/Launch<http://www.playhousesquare.org/Launch>.  For more information, interested artists may contact Linda Jackson at 216.348.7913 or by email to jacksonl at playhousesquare.org<mailto:sarat at playhousesquare.org>.

Playhouse Square places incredibly strong emphasis on arts education and believes that it is essential to improving the quality of life in our community. Through a variety of workshops and classes designed for people of all ages, the Playhouse Square Arts Education Department offers avenues to discovery, appreciation and development in and through the performing arts, connecting participants with national and international artists in unique and meaningful ways.  Playhouse Square initiates collaboration among educators, artists and other community organizations, and actively forms mutually beneficial partnerships with local arts organizations to create and present arts education experiences of the highest quality.  Always striving to fulfill its role as an asset to the Northeast Ohio community, Playhouse Square is an active leader in advocating arts education both locally and within the performing arts industry.

# # #
Playhouse Square Foundation is a not-for-profit performing arts center whose mission is presenting and producing a wide variety of quality performing arts, advancing arts education and creating a theater district that is a superior location for entertainment, business and housing, thereby strengthening the economic vitality of the region.