[NEohioPAL] Cassidy Theatre Becomes Independent Arts Organization

Cassidy Theatre cassidytheatre at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 10:22:17 PDT 2008

Cassidy Theatre
6200 Pearl Road, Parma Heights  OH  44130
(440) 842-4600   www.cassidytheatre.com

CASSIDY THEATRE BECOMES INDEPENDENT ARTS ORGANIZATION

Parma Heights – For over thirty years The Cassidy Theatre has been municipally owned and operated by the City of Parma Heights.  On May 1,  for the first time since the citizens of Parma Heights voted to build a theatre in 1975, the Cassidy Theatre (formerly the Greenbrier Theatre) is independent of the city.

In recent years, increasingly challenging economic conditions in Parma Heights have threatened the City’s ability to continue to operate the theatre.  Parma Heights Mayor Martin Zanotti states, “The privatization of the Cassidy Theatre reflects our need to focus on our primary service responsibilities for our residents. At the same time, this move will enable the Cassidy Theatre to thrive and grow well into the future and we look forward to a long-term relationship with C.T.I.”

 “It is our goal to create a seamless transition for our patrons,” says Cassidy Artistic Director Christine Hnat.  “There will be no breaks or changes in our season schedule.  To the contrary, we believe this new organization, founded by the theatre employees,  will create a healthy future for this institution that so many people have loved for so long.  Even though we are no longer be owned and operated by the City of Parma Heights we will continue to look forward to a long and mutually enriching partnership with the City that will allow theatre-goers to continue to enjoy our productions for years to come.”

The theatre’s current season includes:

THE COMPLETE WORKS OF WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE ABRIDGED
May 30 – June 15, 2008
By Adam Long, Daniel Singer and Jess Winfield
Directed by Joseph Hnat
Hang onto your seats!  This is not your high school Shakespeare!  It’s a high-speed roller coaster condensation of all of Shakespeare’s plays – all 37 plays in 97 minutes! “If you love Shakespeare, you’ll love this show!  If you hate Shakespeare, you’ll love this show!” – The Today Show

GREASE
July 11 – 27, 2008
Music and Lyrics by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey
Directed by Kevin Joseph Kelly
The 1959 class of Rydell High is back!  All the great songs like “Summer Nights”, “Greased Lightening”, “Born to Hand Jive” and “We Go Together” prove that “Grease is the Word”!

COMPANY
September 19 – October 5, 2008
Music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Book by George Furth
Directed by Robert Gibb
On the night of his 35th birthday, confirmed bachelor Robert contemplates his unmarried state.  An honest, witty, sophisticated look at relationships.

SCROOGE!
December 5 – 21, 2008
Book, Music and Lyrics by Leslie Bricusse
Directed by Lester Currie
Catchy melodies and a witty script make Scrooge! the ideal Christmas treat!  This delightful adaptation of the popular movie musical is the heartwarming family story based on Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol”, and features the Oscar nominated hit “Thank You Very Much”.

YOUTH THEATRE and SPECIAL EVENTS

FAMILY AND FRIENDS
May 9 & 10, 2008 at 8p
Originally produced at Berea Summer Theatre, FAMILY AND FRIENDS has been described as “an evening of some of our favorite songs with some of their favorite people.”  The production stars Cathie Brenkus, Cindy Smith, Bruce Holloway and John Nolan with Musical Director Charles Eversole, singing songs from hit shows like Chicago, Gypsy, and Dreamgirls, as well as favorites by composers like Irving Berlin, Stephen Schwartz, Stephen Sondheim and Andrew Lloyd-Webber.

SUMMER YOUTH THEATRE CLASSES
Summer Classes for kids ages 8 to 18
Registration is open now.
Call the theatre (440) 842-4600 to obtain an application form
 - Star Works Teen Classes, held Monday and Wednesday mornings,
 - Star Bright classes fro kids 8 to 12 years, offered either Tuesday and Thursday mornings
    or Monday and Wednesday afternoons
- Technical Theatre class offered on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.
Because we can only accept a limited number of students, call now to get an application and get your student signed up for a summer of acting fun!
A special discount is being offered to those who get their applications in before June 1st!

THE CLEVELAND SINGING ANGELS/GREEN BAY GIRLS CHOIR
June 12 at 7:30pm
The world-renowned Singing Angels in concert with the Green Bay Girls Choir.  A one-time only concert treat!

THE PRAYER WARRIORS
June 20 & 21, 2008 at 8pm and  November 21 & 22, 2008 at 8pm
Behold the Music of Light!  The Prayer Warriors are one of the most dynamic professional Gospel groups in Northeast Ohio and back by popular demand from their appearance in last season’s musical Violet!  For more information on The Prayer Warriors and their latest CD “Alley Suites”, go to www.prayerwarriorsmusic.com

TOMMY IN CONCERT
A live rock concert of The Who’s TOMMY.
August 1 & 2, 2008 at 9pm

THE BEST OF BROADWAY
August 15, 16, 2008 at 8pm
August 17 at 3pm
Director Heidi Boone assembles an all-star cast singing the best songs Broadway has to offer!

THE AIDS TASKFORCE PRESENTS SCHOOLHOUSE ROCK LIVE!
One Night Only – August 25, 2008 at 8pm

BEREA GRINDSTONE PLAYERS PRESENT ASSASSINS
Oct. 9 – 18, 2008
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Book by John Weidman
Directed by Geoffrey Short
Possibly the most controversial musical ever written, Assassins lays base the lives of nine individuals who assassinated or tried to assassinate the President of the United States.

Richard O’Brien’s THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW
October 24, 25, 31 & Nov. 1, 2008
Directed by Meghan Mohler
Last year’s hit returns!  A mad mix of classic horror Sci-Fi, super-charged sensuality and outrageous fantasy.  It’s the story of an ordinary couple and one unforgettable night at the castle of Dr. Frank-N-Furter, a mad scientist from the Planet Transsexual.  “Don’t dream it, be it!”  Make Cassidy’s Rocky Horror a Halloween tradition!

DIANN’S DANCE PRESENTS
November 7 & 8, 2008 at 8pm
December 29  at 3pm and 7pm
Diann’s Dance returns with another original ballet production based on the children’s book “Madeline”.  These shows always sell-out so order your tickets in advance!

YOUTH THEATRE CHRISTMAS SHOW – A NEW ENGLAND CHRISTMAS
December 13 & 20
11am and 2pm
This original show is based on the beloved novel “Little Women”.
This special show features a classic story and each performance concludes with a pizza lunch and a visit from Santa for young audience members!

THE SINGING ANGELS
December 8& 15, 2008 at 8pm
Back by popular demand, The Singing Angels will make your holiday season complete!  This show sells out quickly so please order your tickets in advance!

MORE SPECIAL EVENTS WILL BE ADDED AS THE SEASON PROGRESSES.

As of December 1st, 2007, the theatre became incorporated as the Cassidy Theatre, Inc. (C.T.I.) and began the process of becoming a new non-profit company.  A board of directors has also been appointed:  Geoffrey Short serves as Board President, Joseph Hnat is Vice President.  Diana Kullgren is Treasurer and shares the Co-Managing Director position with Sarah Clare, who also serves as the Box Office Manager.   Heidi Boone is Development Director and Amy Banner serves as board Secretary.  Christine Hnat serves as Artistic Director.

In 1972, theatre aficionado Elise Cassidy, the wife of long-time Parma Heights Mayor Paul W. Cassidy convinced the Mayor that no city could be complete without a cultural base.  She proposed a new cultural center.  The Mayor agreed, but decided that the citizens of Parma Heights should make the final decision.  The proposal was put up to vote and the citizens of Parma Heights overwhelmingly voted to build what was known as the Greenbrier Commons Cultural Center.  The facility which opened in 1975 became known as The Greenbrier Theatre and was later re-named The Paul W. Cassidy Theatre in honor of its founder.

The theatre is nestled on a hillside in the Greenbrier Commons off Pearl Rd. in Parma Heights and has been entertaining community theatre audiences for over 30 years. C.T.I. will continue to produce its shows at this location.  Information on the current season schedule can be found at www.cassidytheatre.com

FOR INFORMATION:  Geoffrey Short
                                        geoffshort at sbcglobal.net