[NEohioPAL] To Scott Spence and....

TONY BROWN TBROWN at plaind.com
Tue May 6 09:34:38 PDT 2008

for whatever it's worth, here's my capsule review of the nyc "evil dead:
the musical," published in the pd on dec. 28, 2006:

*Evil Dead the Musical.* This off-Broadway rumpus room, a musical
spoof of the movie-series, tries to out-Rocky *The Rocky Horror
Show* (there's even a *Time Warp* reference). It doesn't quite
reach that lofty goal, but it's a lot of fun. Seats in the first four
rows, the *splatter zone,* come with blood-repellent ponchos. Come
to a late show and slightly buzzed, and you'll really connect with these
buzz-saw-severed limbs.

At New World Stages, 340 W. 50th St. 212-239-6200.

>>> Eric Oswald <eoswaldbigred at yahoo.com> 5/5/2008 10:18 PM >>>
As actors, we all know that one critic's opinion means absolutely
nothing.  I have gone to many productions where my friends and I
thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and yet the critic who was there the same
night hates it.  And the fact that you only link to one review, while
here:

http://www.scottmartinmusicals.com/kudos2.html

it shows that there were MANY more critics who LOVED this little gem
just again shows that one person's critique means nothing.  It's about
getting people into the seats.  It's about getting YOUNGER people into
the seats and the way you're going to do that is with lesser known,
inventive shows like this one.  The night I was there to see it in L.A.,
the audience was hysterical laughing and had an amazing night of
entertainment.  And the Beck is taking a great step to attract a newer
audience by doing Evil Dead: The Musical.  Now let's hope they start
taking even more steps by taking a chance on a campy musical like this
one, one sure to attract a large Lakewood/Cleveland audience, one
written by a native Clevelander, and a show that would be not only an
Ohio premiere for the Beck, but an East Coast premiere.