[NEohioPAL] FW: Stephanie "Mammy" Taylor Ayers

Sharron DeCosta sharron at gfhoch.com
Tue May 13 05:24:12 PDT 2008

As many of you already know, the Near West Theatre lost a precious soul on May 4th with the passing of our friend, mentor, sister, colleague, constant companion, Stephanie Taylor-Ayers, who was lovingly referred to as "Mammy" by many of us. Mammy was truly a person who put the word "community" in Community Theatre.

As a person who was recently interviewed by the Plain Dealer in an attempt to write her obituary, I found it interesting that the question that kept coming up from this reporter was "What roles did she play?". Mammy was well known as somebody who was admittedly unable to sing a note, yet her presence on a stage was so vibrant and strong that she gave as much as any person who was in a leading role.

Mammy has truly been a perfect example of how important the "roles" we play in any given production are...are we supportive to the process?....are we kind to fellow cast members?...do we mentor children?....are we a better person at the end of the show than we are at the beginning?  Is what we do ON stage more important than what we do BACKSTAGE?

Sometime the most important "roles" we can fill are the unseen ones. The community of actors at the Near West Theatre has truly lost one of it's grandest leading ladies, who never had more than one line in a show. She will be missed greatly.

One of Mammy's favorite sayings was "Name it, claim it, and make it your own!". I know that Mammy has a special mansion in heaven that she has now named, claimed and made her own. It is my prayer that she will continue to shower her sassy wisdom, unforgettable courage and immense blessings on our theatre community.

Please take time to cut and paste the attached links into your browser and read more about the life, wit and wisdom of this wondrous soul. May she forever "sleep with the angels!"

Love to all!

-Sharron DeCosta

Obituary:

http://www.cleveland.com/obituary/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news-1/1210667630308880.xml&coll=2