[NEohioPAL] Berko review: JERSEY BOYS (State Theatre)

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 22 08:43:19 PDT 2008

 “Oh What a
Night”—‘JERSEY BOYS’ at the State Theatre

Roy Berko

(Member,
American Theatre Critics Association)

--THE TIMES
NEWSPAPERS--

Lorain
County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times

There was a
high-level buzz of excitement at the State Theatre before the opening curtain
of ‘JERSEY BOYS.’  The audience was
expecting something special.  And,
did they get it!!!  At the end of
the evening they were on their feet screaming for more and the elation spilled
out onto the streets following the show.  (In this instance, this was not an automatic Cleveland standing ovation
given for anything from good to bad productions.  This was a deserved standing O!)

Yes, as one
of the show’s songs cries out, “Oh, What a Night.”

JERSEY BOYS is a
story about Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons: Frankie Valli, Bob Gaudio,
Tommy DeVito and Nick Massi. It supposedly is the story of how a group of
blue-collar boys from the wrong side of the tracks became one of the biggest
American pop music sensations of all time. They supposedly wrote their own
songs.  They invented their own
sounds and sold 175 million records worldwide - all before they were thirty.
You’ll note in the
last paragraph I said “it is supposedly the story” and they “supposedly wrote their own songs.”  There is
some controversy over how much the script’s writers, Marshal Brickman and Rick
Elice, deviated from the real story.  There is also some question abut whether Bob Gaudio really did write all
of the songs.  Be that as it may,
there is no question over the entertainment value of the production.  And, in the end, the audience really
doesn’t care if the story is totally authentic.  As one of the songs states, “Can’t Take My Eyes Off
You.”  You won’t be able to take
your eyes off the stage and keep your feet still as the beat goes on and on and
on.
The show opened in
November of 2005 in New York.  It
won four 2006 Tony Awards including Best Musical and continues to break box
office records on Broadway.
This national tour
includes Erik Bates as Tommy DeVito, the founder and sleazy member of the
group.  His wild way of living, his
spending and gambling, caused the quartet problems and eventually was the cause
of its breaking up.  Bates is
appropriately ego-centered in the role.  He sings and moves well.
Miles Aubrey is
Nick, Tommy’s older brother, who was basically along for the ride.  Aubrey, as is the rest of the cast,
fits well his part and sings effectively.
Andrew Rannells,
who not only looks like the real Bob Gaudio, but has the same boyish charm, is
excellent.  Portraying the
“intellect” of the group, Rannells wraps himself in the role and is completely
believable.
The star of the
evening is Joseph Leon Bwarie as Frankie Valli.  Though there is conjecture that he is getting support via
backstage singers for hitting the necessary falsetto high notes, again, who
cares.  It works.  Be aware that Zachary Prince performs
the Valli role at some performances.  Having not seen him in the role, I have no way of advising whether his
performance will meet the high level of Bwarie’s.
Everything about
this production is professional.  The sets, the orchestrations and the costumes all work.
A sign in the lobby
of the State indicates, “Authentic, profane, Jersey vocabulary are special
effects used in this production.”   Yes, there is an “in-ya’-face Jersey attitude.  On the night I saw the show it carried over into a shouting
match in the audience which developed into a fist fight at the start of
intermission.  Supposedly some guy
defied the theatre rules and the people around him by keeping his cell phone
on, and, the rumor states, using it during the show.  How Jersey! (BTW—because of the language used, the show is
not recommended for anyone under 12.)
CAPSULE JUDGEMENT:   I saw ‘JERSEY BOYS’ in Chicago.  I loved it then, I loved it in this
staging, which I think is a better production.  Go, go, go see ‘JERSEY BOYS.’  You will have one hell of a time and be in a “Trance” as you
“Walk Like a Man” [or Woman] out of the theatre, feeling like a “Big Man [or
Woman] in Town.”

‘JERSEY BOYS’ runs
through July 20.  Performances at
Tuesday through Thursday at 8, Saturday at 2 and 8 and Sunday at 1 and
6:30.  There will be no July 4
performances.   Tickets can be
ordered by calling 216-241-6000 or going to www.playhousesquare.org.Roy Berko's blog, which contains theatre and dance reviews from 2001 through 2008, as well as his consulting and publications information, can be found at http://royberko.info