[NEohioPAL] i want your VIDEOS

Linda Ryan Pommy at neo.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 08:29:50 PDT 2008

Andrew brings up a good point; one that's always bothered me: the fact that
many theaters have had to go the way CVLT has -- i.e., no video for fear of
being shut down. I don't know who made the rule about no videos of shows,
but I would think the actors in this country would be "up in arms" (whatever
that phrase means) :-) about it.

I understand that videos shouldn't be made of professional shows, of course,
since they may possibly lose some of their audience. But who would be hurt
if community theaters made videos for their archives and the people in the
shows who wanted to keep them for memories? And frankly - and I say this
with apologies to those who believe their shows are the best thing since
sliced bread - who else would even want a video of a show they weren't in?
We're talking about a tiny number of people here - anything from one or two
people to a huge cast of maybe 35 people. They're the only ones who would be
interested. What are we taking away from someone by filming a show like
that?

I'm surprised, as rights-conscious as the American people are - always
standing up for what they believe in - that we've allowed this policy to
remain in place. Maybe there is a fight going on about it somewhere and I
just haven't heard anything about it. But if not, there should be. I, for
one, would like to have saved the shows I've been in for watching in my old
age (okay, probably too late for that!) :-) but you get my drift.

--Linda Ryan