[NEohioPAL] COPYRIGHT??-is it obsolete??

Tony Glassman tglassman at chronohio.com
Fri Jun 20 11:49:52 PDT 2008

Another thing to keep in mind with online file sharing, however, is that not
all file-sharing is illegal. There are people who willingly put their own
material online for anyone to download, whether it be music, books or
videos.

The large corporations that make the most profit from copyrighted material
were slow to react to developing technology; the internet is not so very
different from using a dual-cassette deck to copy a friend's tape, although
it can be done on a much larger scale through the internet.

With the Recording Industry Association of America, using Lars Ulrich of
Metallica as their mouthpiece, their arguments that it was costing their
artists much hard-earned money was fallacious. Much of what is downloaded,
according to a number of studies across the globe, is not necessarily what
people would buy if it were a choice of buying it or not having it at all.
And for Metallica, especially, they make far more money in a single leg of a
concert tour than they would off the release of an album.

Many publishers are offering selected books online for free, to give readers
a taste for an author. It's much like what a drug dealer would do--the first
hit's for free, but then you have to pay for the next one, and the one after
that, and it's brilliant marketing.

  _____