[NEohioPAL] Dark Room on July 8

marglynch at aol.com marglynch at aol.com
Wed Jun 25 14:23:26 PDT 2008

In July, the Dark Room will present the Fast and Furious: Literary Drift playwrighting event.  The Dark Room is an evening for networking and new work development cosponsored by Cleveland Public Theatre and the Cleveland Theater Collective.

Here’s how it goes. We have a venue. We have concessions*. And we have, roughly, two hours.

Let’s see how many plays we can fit in that time frame. It’ll be Fast and Furious (minus Vin Diesel, bad acting, and supped up Honda Civics).

What we need:

First and foremost, writers and their scripts. Comedy or drama. Original work or adaption. Play, verse, or poetry. Bring them all. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Send them in advance or bring them to the theater. Either or works for us. Also, there will be free food* to feed starving artists.

One thing, submissions (full length or excerpt) should be no longer than twelve pages. Please send any advanced submissions to DRKoger77 at yahoo.com.

Second, we need actors. All ages. All ethnicities. All sexes. Union or nonunion. Come on down. We do not know what we will be getting in terms of roles, so we need as many versatile actors as we can to read – possibly – a number of different characters. Now, I can’t guarantee there will be enough roles to go around, but there will be free food*. And how can you go wrong with that?

Any interested parties who would like to let us know ahead of time that they will be there (and maybe get a script in advance) can contact Derek at DRKoger77 at yahoo.com.

Lastly, we need audience members. So, if you love new works, come on down. If you love theater, come on down. If you love the unknown (because, let’s face it, we could see just about anything), come on down. Oh, and did I mention there would be free food*?

Okay, so when does this shin-dig go down?

How about:

Tuesday July 8th, 7:00 pm
at The Church at Cleveland Public Theater
(look for the small church located just east of the Cleveland Public
Theater parking lot)
6415 Detroit Ave., Cleveland, OH 44102

Suggested donation of $5 is welcomed at the door, but not required.

7:00pm - Writers and actors sign-in
7:30pm - Readings begin

9:30(-ish) pm – Readings end, cue massive applause

Oh, and it is a statistical fact that theater is best enjoyed in groups**, so grab a friend or ten and bring them along.

Come on down and get Fast and Furious with the Dark Room’s Literary Drift!

Derek Koger
Curator and Host
The Dark Room