[NEohioPAL] Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are ALIVE!

Cleve Shakes cleveshakes08info at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 29 09:43:48 PDT 2008

Saturday, June 28th

Despite being forced indoors by the notorious Cleveland weather, last night's opening of The Cleveland Shakespeare Festival's production of Tom Stoppard's dark comedy, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead  brought a surprising amount of sunny summer fun to the main stage of Tri-C's western campus.

The lead characters find the fine line between giddy and disturbing, then proceed to dance on that tightrope for a crisp hour and a half. Not an easy feat! The supporting ensemble and main characters from Hamlet march, roll, charge and/or leap in and out of the rhetorical debate, providing the respite comic relief as well as "over the top" melodrama and the unexpected tension required to drive the limited action.

Audience comments included;

"... I always thought of them (Rosencrantz & Guildenstern) as the bad guys. They were just a couple of schlubs doing what they were told!"

"...a comedy that makes you think! Wow. Gotta love it!"

"I have to  come see it again. There was too much for me to absorb in one show."

"Hamlet's escape from the pirates had me on the floor!"

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern will be performed again tonight (Saturday, June 28th) and then go on tour in repertory with Hamlet for the next five weekends. Hamlet will be performed on Saturday evenings and Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead will be performed on Sunday evenings at the following venues;

July 5th & 6th
Falls River Square Amphitheater
Broad Boulevard at Front Street
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

July 12th & 13th
Penitentiary Glen Nature Center Amphitheater
8668 Kirtland-Chardon Road
Kirtland, Ohio

July 19th & 20th
Shaker Heights Community Colonnade
3450 Lee Rd.
Shaker Heights, Ohio

July 26th & 27th
Stocker Arts Center Amphitheater
Lorain County Community College
1005 Abbe Road North
Elyria, Ohio

August 2nd & 3rd
Historic Tremont’s Lincoln Park Gazebo
Between West 14th & West 11th at Starkweather
Cleveland, Ohio

All performances will begin promptly at 7 PM. Performances will run with no intermission.
Lawn chairs, blankets or cushions are strongly recommended. Picnics are welcome.