[NEohioPAL] Equity official speaks about use of video for news/promo purposes

Christopher Fortunato learnedhand at live.com
Mon Jun 23 16:24:29 PDT 2008

Dear Tony (and others),

A good example of fair use, I think, would be the bump music that talk show guys play which amounts to several measures of a songwriter, unless BMI and ASCAP have arrangements for that kind of use with the talk show guys.

Perhaps another example would be showing a clip of a movie on Jay Leno that an actor is hawking.> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:37:23 -0400> From: TBROWN at plaind.com> To: neohiopal at listserve.com> Subject: [NEohioPAL] Equity official speaks about use of video for news/promo purposes> > I just got off the phone with an Equity spokeswoman, Maria Somma, who> had much to say about the use of video.> > Essentially, Equity rules ALLOW for video for news and promotional> purposes! No extra pay for actors, just as no extra pay to actors for> photos. Certain rules apply (like length of video, etc.)> > Also, she mentioned that as part of the current negotiations for the> production contract (the one used on Broadway and the template for all> other contracts), much of the talk is centering on NEW MEDIA in general> and BLOGS specifically. So we should have some even er definitions and> guidelines soon. > > There are issues, of course, with publishers, etc. But I can tell you> right now that as a 30-year veteran of this business, there is a FAIR> USE DOCTRINE in the copyright laws.> > What the hell, you're thinking, is fair use?> > The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision> of the U.S. Copyright Law cites examples of activities that courts have> regarded as fair use: *quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism> for purposes of illustration or comment; quotation of short passages in> a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the> author's observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the> work parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations,> in a news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to> replace part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of> a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work in> legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and> fortuitous reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located> in the scene of an event being reported.* > > I think, in fact, we're covered, from both an Equity and authorship> point of view.> > Send me your videos. Or not. Whatever.> > Tony> > > > Sign up for FREE breaking news updates at cleveland.com/updates> ______________________________________> NEohioPAL is SELF-SERVE. If you need to unsubscribe, change from digest to one-at-a-time delivery or vice-versa, go on hiatus while out of town, switch from mime to plain text or vice-versa, etc. check out the FAQS at http://www.fredsternfeld.com.> ______________________________________> please consider a voluntary contribution to support Neohiopal - http://www.fredsternfeld.com/faqs.htm#support> ______________________________________> Disclaimer: The facts and/or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the person in the 'from' or 'reply-to' header. The fact that this message is posted should in no way be taken as an endorsement by the administrator of this list. Subscribers should perform due diligence for all goods, services and activities promoted on NEohioPAL.> _____________________________________> NEohioPAL mailing list> http://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/neohiopal