[NEohioPAL] July 12, Deborah Van Kleef CD release party at Loganberry Books, 6-8 PM; free

jkmiller jkmiller at igc.org
Sun Jul 6 11:49:48 PDT 2008

work in progress:  songs of labor,love and social significance

from Deborah Van Kleef

  "A gem... History, humor and passion combine to give us real
stories...
Deborah Van Kleef reminds us that music -- and we -- are powerful"
  -  John McCutcheon

Dear Friends,
I'm very happy to announce that I have recently completed my
first CD, "Work in Progress."  You are invited to  help
celebrate, at a CD release party at Loganberry Books, 13015
Larchmere Blvd., Shaker Heights (1 block north of Shaker
Square), from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

I'll be playing songs from the CD and other material.  Seth
Rosen,  who plays guitar and mandolin on the CD, will  join
me, along with  Gene Epstein on bass.  Admission is
free.  We'll provide refreshments, and "Work in Progress" kazoos.
And of course there will be copies of the CD
available for purchase.

"A splendid CD!...  I started out making a list of favorites and
found it added up to nearly half the album."
- Peggy Seeger

I didn't set out to make an album with a theme, but my
husband listened to an early rough mix, and observed that
most of the songs tell stories -- some poignant, others
light-hearted -- about ordinary working people.   Six of
the  15 tracks are songs I wrote.  Of course I had to record
"The Great Fast Food Strike" which was performed by
Pete Seeger at the Carnegie Hall concert marking the 50th
Anniversary of Smithsonian Folkways Recordings.

The other nine cuts include songs by Woody Guthrie, Malvina Reynolds,
Lou & Peter Berryman, James Keelaghan, Harold  Rome and the
Carter Family.  While the recording certainly falls under
the broad heading of "folk," styles represented include
old-time, jug band, swing, country blues, and
traditional and contemporary folk.

"Great musical variety, heart and soul"
-  Cathy Fink
(2-time Grammy-winning folk and children's performer)

Although I recorded the CD in Toronto with award-winning
producer Ken Whiteley, I have chosen to flaunt my
Cleveland roots.   Track #6, "3 Trains," combines song and
poetry, with "Little Black Train," by Woody Guthrie;  the
poem, "Train!" by Cuyahoga County's late poet laureate,
Daniel Thompson and "Never Gonna Stop This  Train," by James
Keelaghan.  The cover design, by the fabulous Michael
Wrycroft (also of Toronto), incorporates  images of
Cleveland's Flats, by Cleveland Heights photographer Steve
Cagan.  On the front, in the literal and  figurative
background, is Blast Furnace No. 5 at the old Republic Steel
plant (later LTV and now Mittal Steel),  where my father
worked in the 1950's and 60's.

As you can see, I'm very proud of this CD, and excited about
sending it out into the world.  I hope you can join  us on
July 12 and make its acquaintance.  If you can't attend,
you'll soon be able to visit my website, <www.deborahvankleef.com>
(currently under construction),where there will be audio
samples of the music,  and links cdbaby and other vendors.
Myspace and Facebook pages to
follow as well.

Sincerely,

Deborah

"[T]he songs are in my head... and the dog likes them too.  If
I play this CD she can ride in the car without stress - it's
the only CD we've found that she likes."  - Mary Kelsey

Deborah Van Kleef
rootsy rustbelt folk

Third Story Music, Inc.
3251 Clarendon Road