[NEohioPAL] Fw: Re: Fw: auditions: web video spokespeople

Brian Bowers bjbowers4584 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 08:09:50 PDT 2008

folks, just do we're clear on this--the Talent Group and myself have NOTHING to do with this job...the point is that if you audition and get this job you'll be doing it for approximately 25% of what you would get if you were repped by an agency. I would highly discourage anyone from auditioning, unless you feel that you have absolutely no worth as an actor and that your time and talents are worth only 25% of everyone else's (and if you truly feel that way then you should get out of this business immediately...). There is a huge problem right now with small niche companies like this one, especially with web spokesperson jobs such as the one listed below. It's a huge trap to think "oh, this is just a little thing for someone's website..." The fact of the matter is that internet and new media is the fastest growing component of advertising. There are still many issues in terms of usage and money relating to what actors and other talent should make on these
 gigs (hence the writers strike, the SAG and AFTRA negotions with the major networks, etc.) because the ethics are (as usual) far behind the actual technology. Don't forget that someone somewhere is making MONEY off of these things...and not $50 and hour, or anything even close to it. These companies will make thousands, tens of thousands, or HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars because of the talent used in their advertising and branding. When you look at it that way $50 an hour seems like a slap in the face. The fact that you are new to this industry, just looking to get some experience, etc. is no excuse. Look at it this way--if you are the number one sales person for Pete's Widget Company, you bust your hump and go door to door selling the widets for Pete for several years, creating over $200,000 in sales revenue from selling the widgets; and Pete says "Thanks so much, for your services I'd like to pay you $200"--what would your reaction be? That's not
 fair, are you crazy, or #@$% you! SO WHY IS USING YOUR TALENTS AS AN ACTOR ANY DIFFERENT? Whether you were a seasoned salesperson or brand new to Pete's Widgets, you'd expect to be fairly compensated for your time and efforts, and the same applies to your talents as an actor. Remember this is a business. If you are doing a commercial gig for a company that's going to be making money, creating a brand, advertising, etc. then you need to get fair compensation. Actors have a hard enough time getting fairly compensated anyway because people don't look at it like an exchange of services and goods. If you want to do something for fun, stick to community theatre and student films. If you audition and do gigs that are undercompensated then you are undermining the value of your own work and the work of true professionals everywhere.

Brian Bowers
The Talent Group, Agent www.talentgroup.com
Braedy Photography, owner/photographer www.braedyphoto.com
48 Hour Film Project, City Producer www.48hourfilm.com/cleveland