[NEohioPAL] 25 Weeks of [Preforming] Arts in Cleveland

Lincoln King-Cliby lking-cliby at lincoln.homeip.net
Sun Oct 12 19:44:58 PDT 2008

One of the first things people--Clevelanders and non-Clevelanders alike--ask
me when they find out that I moved to Cleveland from Southern California is
"Why Cleveland" (usually with a whiny emphasis on "Cleveland").

One of my first answers is always "The arts & culture" ("Nicer People",
"Less Traffic" and "Cost of Living" round out the top four, and "I got an
offer for a job I love" is, of course, important)

A while ago -- 25 weeks to be exact -- I realized that while I trumpet the
arts in Cleveland to everyone and anyone who will listen, I had fallen into
a stagnant pattern of attending the shows from the same handful of companies
and otherwise lounging about the house. So I decided to try something. I've
made a point of attending at least one performance a weekend -- every
weekend -- for the past six months, and plan to continue to do so. Some of
the shows were with old friends, many were with companies I had never
previously attended. With only one exception (Jersey Boys*) all of the shows
were new to me.

I've heard some fantastic music preformed by a fantastic orchestra, attended
my first contemporary dance show, and I've seen some fantastic and -- lets
be honest -- lousy theater. I've discovered that that "gray area" between
Professional and Community theater is larger and more gray than I ever
imagined. I've seen my first contemporary dance show. I've walked from my
house to shows at Cain Park, and I've driven to Westlake. I've been thought
provoked, I've been entertained, and I've been though-provokingly
entertained. I've paid anywhere from nothing to, ahem, well more than
nothing, and I've learned that quality and ticket price aren't directly
related. I've perfected the delivery of "One best-available, please"
and I've learned that I disagree -- sometimes vehemently so -- with a
critic.

Only once out of those 25 weeks did I actually have to struggle to find
something "local" -- most of those weekends it's been tougher to decide what
to see on a Saturday night between two, three, or usually more options
within my self-imposed "about a 30 minute drive" perimeter.

I don't think you can say that about many cities, certainly not the area of
Southern California I grew up in, and despite the present issues with the
economy -- locally or nationally -- the strong and vibrant arts community in
this region is something to be extraordinarily proud of. So "Thank You" to
everyone who keeps the curtain going up on the arts in Northeast Ohio, on
stage and off...

Thanks especially to Fred for this list, one of the ways I've kept track of
what there is to see. Thanks as well to the House Managers at Playhouse
Square (for a performance of B-W's Brooklyn The Musical) and Bang & Clatter
(The God Of Hell) for finding a seat for me in sold-out houses.

And here's to however many more -- I'm not even thinking
about slowing down until I hit 52 consecutive weeks (suggestions always
welcome)

Lincoln
(24, male, Cleveland Heights)

*- I attended Jersey Boys twice during it's initial run at The La Jolla
Playhouse in California and met the director... I wanted to see if anything
had changed since leaving La Jolla. Aside from a much larger house, it
hadn't.