[NEohioPAL] Judicial elections

Christopher Fortunato learnedhand at live.com
Thu Oct 23 18:51:18 PDT 2008

Dear Friends,

In the past I have written on here, with Fred's permission on Neohiopal, to ask you to consider certain candidates for judicial office.  At times, lawyers will send emails to clients and friends regarding such candidacies.  I am doing this jointly to save on time.

There is also a website called judge4yourself.com that you could peruse to see what a joint bar association project said about judicial candidates in Cuyahoga County this year.  So, there are various sites for you to look at.  There are also labor sites and stonewall democrats that have made endorsements as well.

There are not many judges up in contested races this year and those are the only ones (except one) that I will comment on.  The unopposed are in as of filing, so I am not indicating a nod for them.

Ohio Supreme Court
Seat 1-1-09- Joseph D. Russo.  Joe is a common pleas judge in Cuyahoga County who is running to unseat Maureen O'Connor, whom is backed by the Republicans.  I have known him to be an extremely fair judge while appearing before him.  I also consider him scholarly as he has served on his law school's law review.  He is conscientious and has a good humor about him.

Seat starting 1-2-09- Peter Sikora- currently serving on the Cuy Juvenile Court, he has been there since his appt by Gov. Celeste in the late 80s.  Judge Sykora is exemplary.  A quadroplegic since his teen years, I am astounded on how he gets along so well in spite of his disability.  He has a good mind for a judge and will do well to unseat Evelyn Stratton, the Republican already on the court.

Court of Appeals
Only one seat up, the term begins on 2-10-09.  My friend Brian Moriarty would make a fine judge if elected.  I have had cases with him as co-counsel and also cases opposite him in court.  He is couteous and a gentleman.  He has appeared before many appellate panels where a lot of his work consisted of labor work as well as assisting in the defense of policemen.  He would do well on the bench.

Common Pleas
1-2-09-  NANCY FUERST.  The name says it all.  Unopposed, but I have known her since law school and have always enjoyed her treatment of me.  Simply put, she has the temperament for the job.  She is unassuming, yet very much in control of her courtroom.  Judge Fuerst had a great amount of life experience before ascending the bench.  Prior to practicing law, she ran a business and raised a family.  Her father is the late Norman Fuerst who was a judge for many years in Cuyahoga County and a friend.

1-3-09  Steven Terry.  My former boss in the Cleveland Prosecutor's Office.  Judge Terry was first assistant and we assistants worked through him on many matters.  I never saw him lose his cool.  Judge Terry has been a prosecutor, and a judicial administrator in the county.  Gov. Strickland appointed him judge and I think it was a great appointment.  I've appeared before him and he has the temperament and good mind to decide legal issues for us.  This is a good vote here.

1-10-09  Lynn McLaughlin Murray.  A magistrate in Cleveland Municipal Court, Lynn Murray is fighting the good fight running against a thirty year incumbent, Richard McMonagle.  She may not win this time, but I want to give her the chance.

2-9-09  Sam Zingale.  Sam is a former judge who is running against a name candidate this year. He will probably lose to her.  I generally liked his work when he was a judge back in the early 90s.  He lost to a name candidate back then for reelection.

Probate Court
2-9-09  Laura Gallagher.  An assistant prosecutor, Laura is running against the redoubtable Kathleen Ann Sutula.  Judge Sutula has been on the court of common pleas for 18 years and I would like her to stay there where she runs a formidable tight ship and is extremely respectful of attorney's time.  She also knows the ins and outs of many intricate type of common pleas procedures like habeas corpus.  So, I would like her to stay in her current bench.  Laura Gallagher will bring a fresh approach to the Probate Court if elected.

NON-JUDICIAL RACE

PETER LAWSON JONES.  A tireless supporter of the arts is running for reelection to County Commissioner.  He is also a fine lawyer whom I once tried a case before and a gentleman.  He is a good friend of my good friend, Sue H. Johnson

MARY ROSE OAKAR- my good friend and former boss is running for State School Board.  Mary Rose is a former teacher as well as former Congresswoman.