[NEohioPAL] Our Town presented by Wooster High School

Alex Lowry lowry.al at wooster.k12.oh.us
Thu Nov 6 10:29:59 PST 2008

The Wooster High School Drama Club will present its fall production, "Our
Town," on November 14 and 15 at 7:30pm and November 16 at 2:00pm in the
PAC. Admission is $8. For tickets or more information, please call (330)
345-4000 Ext. 8265. Tickets can also be purchased at the door prior to
each performance. Seats are assigned.
"Our Town," written by Thornton Wilder, is set in a fictional New
Hampshire town that can easily be seen as any town, even Wooster! It
follows the lives of two families and their dealings in life, love, and
death for more than a decade. The show premiered in 1938 at the McCarter
Theatre in Princeton, New Jersey, and won the Pulitzer Prize later that
year. Over the decades, the play has become a classic in American drama.
When the play was first written and performed, America was experiencing
the aftershocks of the Great Depression and living under the impending
shadow of World War II. Although uncertain times and fear characterized
the time period, Wilder focused the play on the facets of the human
experience which testify to the strength and endurance of the human
spirit. The messages of living life to the fullest are as valid today as
when the play was written.
This play is a great match for WHS this year. As it is Wooster's
bicentennial year, we are reaching back and exploring our roots. Thornton
Wilder came to Wooster in 1950 to perform the role of the "Stage Manager"
at the College of Wooster. This was also the first play performed at the
"New High School" in 1994. As we work to rebuild and strengthen the drama
club, it is a great year to revisit this play and include the community.
"Our Town" uses minimal and suggestive scenery, and will give the students
the chance to work creatively with theatrical lighting and sound
techniques.
Come and join us!

Alex Lowry
Wooster High School
Performing Arts Center Manager
Dramatics Director
(330) 345-4000 Ext. 8265

PLEASE NOTE: This message and any response to it may constitute a public
record, and therefore may be available upon request in accordance with
Ohio public records law. (ORC 149.43)

intended recipient(s) and may contain private, confidential, and/or
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient,
employee, or agent responsible for delivering this message, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original e-mail
message.