[NEohioPAL] Canal Fulton Players- In Memoriam Linda Nelson

DVangaasbe at aol.com DVangaasbe at aol.com
Wed Nov 12 14:34:55 PST 2008

In Memoriam

Linda Nelson

Daisy Stanley- The Man Who Came to  Dinner (December 2005)
Helen- Born Yesterday (March 2007)

Behind the scenes and box office so  many times we lost track

 It is with a great deal of  sadness that we announce the death of our dear
friend and fellow thespian, Linda  Nelson, who died on November 10, 2008,
surrounded by her family and loved  ones.  Carol and I will always remember Linda’s
radiant smile, infectious  laughter, and bubbling optimism as we think back
to the days when this theatre  was experiencing its growing pains.  As she
stated many times to us,  quoting her character from The Man Who Came to Dinner, “
Ernest, it isn’t that  bad.”
Linda came to the theatre on a whim.  She wanted information  concerning our
children’s program for her granddaughter.  When we stated  that the children’
s program would develop probably towards the end of the fourth  season, she
then shyly asked about adult parts.  She really did not know it  at the time but
she fell into that wonderful trap called acting and  theatre.  Cast as Daisy
Stanley, the harried but kind home owner in The Man  Who Came to Dinner, Linda
brought a comic angle to her character.  Not  satisfied with giving just
lines, she gave Daisy the necessary dimension that  endeared her to the audience,
crew and cast.
Linda was the glue  that held two casts that she was in together.  Many of
the younger  actresses gravitated to her and it was not unusual to see Sarah
Peters and Lisa  Van Gaasbeek constantly talking to her about their dreams and
plans.  Her  support and love to these two actresses have spurred them on to
bigger and  better things.  Today, Sarah is a student at the New York Film
Institute  and Lisa is finishing her studies at Kent State University in the Theatre
 Arts.  During one of my last visits with Linda, she stated how proud she
was of both of them.
Linda will always be remembered for how she  handled adversity on stage.
When Born Yesterday was postponed for one  week, she kept telling the cast and
Megan Huber specifically that we can do  this.  The cast, concerned about Sandra
Schmeltzer’s husband who had taken  ill right before Opening Night, rallied
under Linda’s reassurance.
In The Man Who Came to Dinner, Linda accidentally fell and severely  twisted
her ankle on the fifth night.  Waking up the next morning, she  discovered
that she had a very swollen ankle.  However, with Gary’s help,  she managed to
wrap the ankle in such a manner that she was able to perform the  next night.
No one knew what happened except the cast and crew as Linda  played Daisy with
her normal bravura.
The cast and crew of The  Christmas Gifts which includes her grandson, Steve,
have dedicated their six  performances in memory of Linda.  The entire
Players, all one hundred of us  acting on stage and helping behind the scenes,
extend our sympathy to Gary and  his family over this untimely death which has
taken one of the most charming  people to ever grace the stage.
Linda wanted so much to see  Steve in The Christmas Gifts and I assured her
that she would right before she  died.  She just would have a better seat to
see the  performances.
  Calling hours are on Thursday  from 4:00-7:00 pm at the Swigart Easterling
Funeral Home, 624 East Cherry  Street, Canal Fulton, Ohio.  The funeral will
on Friday at 11:00 am at the  United Methodist Church, 363 West Cherry Street,
Canal Fulton.