[NEohioPAL] Got Milk? MY last word, at least.

Robert Hawkes rhhawkes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 08:53:52 PST 2008

Well, I replied privately to Mr Kelly, and he to me. We seem to have an
understanding. What we have (mostly) is a DIFFERENCE of experience, point of
view, agenda and possibly taste. Just facts, like eye color or a liking for
broccoli, and so not arguable.

Mr Sternfeld and I seem to have a DISAGREEMENT about the merits of the film
as film, which we could possibly argue if we were so inclined.

My hope is that we live happily and productively with both our differences
and our disagreements, however much our culture still encourages us to
retreat into name-calling and put-down rather than actual discourse. Cf.
most sitcoms, not to mention political campaigns.

We're ALL agreed, I think, that Mr Penn's performance as Milk is very
persuasive indeed - as is the work of the rest of the actors in the piece.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences may well nominate and even
award him the Prize, but let's remember that this is the same group that
nominated but did not award Ian McKellen for *Gods and Monsters* and David
Strathairn* *for* Good Night and Good Luck. *So their judgment can be
trusted only half way, at best.

Stay safe, all. As I used to say to my students before I retired
(halleluia!): Watch out for drunks on the road, and don't be one of them.

RHH