[NEohioPAL] Got Milk? MY last word, at least.

Ensemble Theatre ensemble-theatre at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 19 10:25:07 PST 2008

It is highly doubtful that this is your last word, Robert, as you are the
quintessential man of words. I sincerely mean that as a true compliment.
However, much 'Milk' was spilled on Sean Penn, it seems to be worth it,
as he is, as you mentioned, the bankable 'commodity.' And, as the saying
goes, money talks and bullshit walks. . .

In the ultra-high finance world of Hollywood movies, as opposed to the legitimate
stage, there is operating a totally alien ethic with regard to the ancient craft
of live performance. It is the IMAGE that rules, absolutely, and maybe it is
the film editor, ultimately, who determines what is defined as 'art.' It is a well
worn cliche that Hollywood actors, as well as television, embody the glitz and
glamour, as well as the mind-numbing 'group-think' that has an alarming
portion of the population in permanent paralysis. As the 'star system' still
can crank out billion dollar blockbusters, then maybe that 'group-think'
MUST come before a true individual is formed, by his OWN effort, and thereby
he or she might be guided to a live performance of Shakespeare or O'Neill,
thus separating the wheat from the chaff.

We are the 'voices crying in the wilderness.' those that make their livelihood
and even avocations on the live theater stage. It is a totally personal world,
full of immediacy, total human contact, and the fleeting 'live' performance -never to
be witnessed again. With all of its beauty - and its warts, it is infinitely preferable
to the 7-second-byte/no attention span 'flick' (a totally appropriate word!!!) and all
it implies. If the weasal goes 'POP' then the culture has gone 'FLICK' and it is WE
who are at the periphery of the wheel, and the 'flick' at the center.And, as Jimmy
Durante so aptly phrased it. . . .WHAT A b