[NEohioPAL] From the New York Times; straight shows down, musical theatre up

Lincoln King-Cliby lking-cliby at lincoln.homeip.net
Thu Dec 18 05:38:39 PST 2008

While Swzartz isn't exactly 'new' I'd like to point to Wicked as a counter
to "newer composers are not writing songs that you can sing while walking
out of the theatre the way R&H did" (the office manager at my day job will
randomly start humming selections); Rent as well.

I'll freely admit that I am a theater fan, but generally prefer musical
theater; I'll also admit that I can loose interest more quickly than I
probably should. One of the reasons why my preferences skew toward the
musical end is because a significant number of the straight shows I've seen
recently have had absolutely lethargic pacing, in my very personal opinion,
whereas musicals tend to be a bit snappier by nature, the orchestra also
adds an energy to the show not usually present in straight shows.

On the other side, I caught a performance of 'Boeing Boeing', mentioned in
the original article, when I was in New York [for the first time] back in
October, and it was absolutely fantastic; as was Cleveland Play House's
Noises Off. Another CPH presentation from a couple years ago, "I Am My Own
Wife" still ranks as one of my favorites.

I know this sounds funny with the Nth National Tour of Rent on the horizon,
but I also think some of the straight shows are being overperformed... In
the greater Cleveland area, over the course of a few weeks not long
past Noises Off was on two different stages simultaneously, and I would
think that there was some impact to each show's audience size as a result.

Theater (straight or musical) like all media is a conduit for social
commentary as well as entertainment; if a show is not entertaining; as in my
case pacing detracts from, or if the commentary is inartfully wound into the
script or overemphasized it reduces the desire of all but the most committed
fans to partake in the festivities. How many different productions of
Dickens are on stage right now? How many offer the audience anything new or
innovative? Why should we expect the audience to keep coming if we're giving
them the 'same old, same old'?

GLTF is an unfourtinate example, between "A Chrismas Carol" and last
season's production of "The Crucible" last season: While "The Crucible"
was well-reviewed, it was in my personal opinion hands down the worst, and
least enjoyable play I have seen in a very long time. That show, combined
with what I perceive to be a lackluster season surrounding it, was the
primary reason I decided not to re-up my subscription for this season, and
am taking it on a "show-by-show" basis

Happy Holidays,

Lincoln
(24, a guy, primarially an audience member)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Christopher Fortunato <learnedhand at live.com