[NEohioPAL] From the New York Times; straight shows down, musical theatre up

Theresa Benyo aeronauticsnut at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 18 10:09:50 PST 2008

--- On Thu, 12/18/08, Lincoln King-Cliby <lking-cliby at lincoln.homeip.net> wrote:

> I know this sounds funny with the Nth National Tour of Rent
> on the horizon, but I also think some of the straight shows are being
> overperformed... In the greater Cleveland area, over the course of a few
> weeks not long past Noises Off was on two different stages
> simultaneously, and I would think that there was some impact to each
> show's audience size as a result.

If you are referring to one of the Noises Off that was at Aurora Community Theatre; it wasn't impacted by the other run. In fact, that show had virtual sell-outs on most nights. One of the best selling shows Aurora has had as of late. If it's a great show, people will come see it. period.

I agree it's difficult to fill the seats for a straight play as compared to putting on a musical. My 'home' theatre surveyed their audiences and they would rather see more musicals than straight plays. As mentioned before, musicals are in general, faster paced than straight shows. Look at the pace that we live in; it's no wonder people prefer the musicals.

Theresa Benyo-Marzullo