[NEohioPAL] Got Milk?

Christopher Fortunato learnedhand at live.com
Thu Dec 18 10:12:07 PST 2008

And that's probably because in Hollywood today, the actors drive the movie.  Instead of letting the director do the stuff that needs to be done, actors like Sean Penn start stirring the pot.  Penn ruined the remake of "All The King's Men" with his one note performance.  That's because the actors are the bankable ones, and since money is power, they select the director, the producer et al.

Could you imagine telling Victoria Bussert, Tom Fulton, Terri Kent, Fred Sternfeld or Sue Johnson how to direct a play or musical?  That's not to say they won't let you try things in rehearsal, but the director has to helm the project and needs to determine the final direction in order to create wonderful art.  Having worked with all of them, I've felt confident in their direction as well as others.

I don't doubt, Robert, that Sean Penn stirred a lot of stuff in creating that movie.

Chris

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:00:07 -0500From: rhhawkes at gmail.comTo: neohiopal at listserve.comSubject: [NEohioPAL] Got Milk?Milk - now playing at the Cedar-Lee and possibly elsewhere. See - here's what I mean: a story which would have been "powerful" if merely told, but which here thoroughly betrays wonderful actors by klunky writing, an appallingly manipulative musical score, anxious over-editing, distracting focus on the "up close and personal" People/In Touch elements - in short, by a completely successful attempt to make this film and its story as numbingly ORDINARY as possible. A tale of big issues becomes as trivial as Capote - a "tour de force" for its principal actor, but nothing more. Just more TV. What a disappointment. Argh.