[NEohioPAL] Got Milk?

Beverly Kristy bkristy at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 19 14:05:33 PST 2008

Hi all,

To follow up Maureen's post about Choices and the comment "the film editor, ultimately, who determines what is defined as 'art"...... How aware are we that a film can change to a completely different animal as it changes format?

I saw the film Crash (Oscar for Best Film) in the theater and was awed and inspired by it and thought about it for days after. I was going to recommend viewing the DVD to others who had missed it but when I viewed the DVD I was shocked at the changes. The film deals with cultural and racial stereotypes and how often these are wrong and misleading. DVD viewers will not see many key scenes, including the car crash around which the story is built! Viewers will scratch their heads, wondering why the Oscar was awarded and totally missing some of the hard hitting message. Why was this film softened when they had achieved perfection?

Another case in point. I was gifted a DVD of Daniel-Day Lewis' Last of the Mohicans to replace my aging VHS copy. But can I toss the VHS? No because several of the choice lines uttered by Hawkeye to Duncan to illustrate their growing animosity were deleted. Oh yes the DVD is longer by a few minutes of extraneous footage, but the message and character development suffered.

So from my experience, even knowing what a team effort a film is, the message at the least, is in the hands of the editor.

My advice to anyone interested in seeing Milk or other film, particularly one with a controversial message, is see it in the theater.

I'd love to hear comments from anyone who can shed light on this practice.

Happy Viewing,
Beverly Kristy
440 487 6698
bkristy at mindspring.com