[NEohioPAL] The Upstart Crow -- FABULOUS!

Linda Ryan Pommy at neo.rr.com
Sat Jan 10 06:29:30 PST 2009

I'd never heard of this play and may not have gone to see it anyway since -
I hesitate to say this, since being an actor myself I'm supposed to know
about these things - I have never understood Shakespeare! There. I've said
it. HOWEVER, this little show went a looooong way to helping me understand.
"The Upstart Crow" is Shakespeare himself and it was fascinating to realize
that HE might be called that.

The best thing about this show (at the Coach House this weekend and next) is
the two actors who brought this story to life! I've always known that Terry
Burgler was a fantastic actor, but had never seen Tracee Patterson before.
She is superb. What a duo they make onstage! Set in the 1600s, some time
after Shakespeare's death, the basic story is that Shakespeare's daughter
(Tracee) is trying to find out about her wayward father from a famous actor
of the time (Terry) and, indeed does find out all sorts of things. During
the process, they act out bits and pieces of many of Shakespeare's plays -
equating them to actual people and events that served as Shakespeare's
inspiration for penning them. Even I, a complete know-nothing about
Shakespeare, recognized many of those lines.

It is a delightful show! And very reasonably priced! $10, I think? For more
information, though, call the Coach House:  330-434-7741 - you'll be so glad
you did!

--Linda Ryan